Who remembers the 50's?

I saw this list on the internet and wondered what us oldies reactions would be!

EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES

* Curry was a surname.

* Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet

* Spices came from the Middle East where they were used for embalming

* Herbs were used to make rather dodgy medicine.

* A takeaway was a mathematical problem.

* A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

* Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

* The only vegetables known to us were spuds, peas, carrots and cabbage,

* All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.

* Condiments consisted of salt, pepper, vinegar and brown sauce if we were lucky.

* Soft drinks were called pop.

* Coke was something that we put on the fire.

* Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.

* A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

* A Pizza Hut was an Italian shed.

* A microwave was something out of a science fiction movie.

* Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking

* Bread and jam was a treat.

* Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

* Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.

* Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

* Figs and dates appeared every Christmas, but no one ever ate them.

* Coconuts only appeared when the fair came to town.

* Jellied eels were peculiar to Londoners.

* Salad cream was a dressing for salads, mayonnaise did not exist

* The starter was our main meal. Soup was a main meal.

* Only Heinz made beans.

* Leftovers went in the dog.

* Special food for dogs and cats was unheard of.

* Fish was only eaten on Fridays.

* Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

* Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

* Ready meals only came from the fish and chip shop.

* For the best taste fish and chips had to be eaten out of old newspapers.

* Frozen food was called ice cream.

* Nothing ever went off in the fridge because we never had one.

* Ice cream only came in one colour and one flavour.

* None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

* Jelly and blancmange was only eaten at parties.

* If we said that we were on a diet, we simply got less.

* Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

* People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

* Indian restaurants were only found in India .

* Brunch was not a meal.

* If we had eaten bacon lettuce and tomato in the same sandwich we would have been certified

* A bun was a small cake back then.

* The word" Barbie" was not associated with anything to do with food.

* Eating outside was a picnic.

* Cooking outside was called camping.

* Seaweed was not a recognised food.

* Pancakes were only eaten on Pancake Tuesday

* "Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.

* Hot dogs were a type of sausage that only the Americans ate.

* Cornflakes had arrived from America but it was obvious they would never catch on.

* The phrase "boil in the bag" would have been beyond comprehension.

* The idea of "oven chips" would not have made any sense at all to us.

* The world had not heard of Pot Noodles, Instant Mash and Pop Tarts.

* Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.

* Lettuce and tomatoes in winter were only found abroad.

* Prunes were medicinal.

* Surprisingly muesli was readily available in those days, it was called cattle feed.

* Turkeys were definitely seasonal.

* Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.

* We never heard of Croissants we certainly couldn't pronounce it,

* We thought that Baguettes were a problem the French needed to deal with.

* Garlic was used to ward off vampires, but never used to flavour food.

* Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.

* Food hygiene was all about washing your hands before meals.

* Campylobacter, Salmonella, E.coli, Listeria, and Botulism were all called "food poisoning."

* The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties …. elbows.

.

Favorite Answer

As a child of early 1929: even a little before the Depression, I was old enough by 1950 to cast my first vote (successfully, in Dartford, against Margaret Hilda Roberts of such ghastly memory). to make my first visit to Germany, noting the perfect pyramids of farmhouse dunghills and the ubiquity of "Umleitung" wherever Bomber Command had been, witnessing the fury of 14 yearolds condemned to waste an extra year of life in school, the amazing difference in educational standards within the same LEA (Northants), and then, on emigration to the Mid-West in 1956, the enormous size of the cars, the horrible sugariness of the food, the visceral hatred of whites for blacks, and how I was held personally responsible for my country's failure to pay its WW1 debts, oh, and the cheapness of petrol (was it not 19 cents per Winchester gallon?). En route I had got off the ship at Montreal and had been amazed to find almost no visual evidence that the (poor) majority still spoke French. But what really blew me was American parochialsim, as when asked where I was form and I had replied "London", this was understood (despite my Estuary accent) as London, Ontario. (At least they had not considered London, Ohio!). I ended the decade happily married and bathing every weekend in the balmy seas of the Caribbean.

Source(s): Ten years successively in Crayford, Kent, Loughborough, Leics., Northampton, Wood Green, St. Louis, Mo. and San Fernando, Trinidad.
  • ben

1

• Glenn

The 50's here in the USA were a lot different than they are now,also. I was born in 1941 and lived in a very small town. We didn't have to lock the doors had fun making our own entertainment. Made our boxing and wrestling ring in the yard,camped out at night. Burned leaves by the side of the street. Drank water from the garden hose. Yes the good old days!

• Mike K

Hello,

True and I'll just add that a serial killer was something like apple jacks where it gave energy and toughened you. A bowl a day kept the bullies away and surfing the net was going along the edge of the shark protector nets on a surf board.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

• Honest

Mulberry and cottonwood, wide green lawn, Spanish-speaking helpers, volcanic boulder atop

flagstone patio, constant rumble of distant field pump, swimming in concrete ditches, Native-

American pottery shards so common they were usually ignored, sleepless hours from fear of

Witches, steak on egg breakfast, first perk' coffee cup in line shack while deer hunting, school

bus rides on dusty country roads, scorpions, turkey buzzards, my El Paso saddle, adobe ruins,

butchering livestock, the smell of my father's aircraft, warm dirt between my toes, cedar scented

bedroom, grandfather's chicken coop, dust storms, nothing between you and North Pole except

a barbed wire fence, smell of fresh-cut hay, canal walks, Comanche Hill, a distant purple peak

westward, mountain cabins and their spider infested outhouse, wood stoves, cold water creeks,

learning to play the piano, The Cisco Kid was my hero, and moving to the Bear Flag State.

I do, all so true, plus food rationing was still in effect, so no bananas, dried milk was still used and so was condensed milk! Sweets were rationed and virtually unobtainable, so we ate cocoa mixed with a bit of sugar or boiled sugar, marg and syrup to make toffee.

• Laredo

Goodness me but that is all true, especially elbows on the table my mother was a stickler for that rule. I like the prunes for medicinal use, it was either them or Syrup of Figs. Thanks for sharing that one with us, I will pass that one on to other friends who remember these things.

We all tended to eat off tables rather than a tray on your knee in front of television

We lived in a totally different world,

we were innocents abroad.

And 'abroad' meant Bridlington, Morecambe

or Blackpool, we never went too far, in case

we could not find our way home !

I was not around during this time, although I wish I would have been, to observe paternal family values and good times at their zenith.

My paternal grandfather was a true limey.