Haz
Haz asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 years ago

I'm struggling financially to heat my house(1930's - zero insulation - original windows), any tips?

Fuel prices have reduced me to wearing scarves and gloves during the daytime, as I can't afford to have the heating on beyond the times my children are here. To heat my house for a full day costs me £7- £8(approx 6.00am to 9.30 pm) - at the moment it's £4 - £5 with no heating between 8.30am and 3.00pm.

I'm in NW UK, on the coast, where it's very prone to high winds, and it's that which creates discomfort in my house, more than low temps. HOWEVER, I've been reading stuff that has me doubting my preconceived ideas of saving money/fuel - i.e it would be cheaper in my circumstances to keep the heating on all day at a low setting?

Can someone tell me in very basic terms what the best approach is here for optimum warmth or at least what kind of monitoring I should do to establish best practice?

im a builder ..you got the worst type ..solid walls ..no cavity ..single pane windows ..real problem ..you must ventilate ..the bedrooms at least ..leaving the windows shut will create mold ..you should be able to get free loft upgrade on insulation ..unless you can afford secondry glazing then a heavy drape you can pull across doorways and windows other than bedrooms is the furthest you can go without spending a lot of money

1

Take a bottle of glue and seal all the cracks around door jambs and windows. If the windows are the movable type and you don't want to glue them shut you can use caulk which will seal the gaps but can be pulled out when summer comes. Go to the hardware store and get seals for all switches and outlets on outside walls. If the store doesn't have them you can cut seals from a cereal box. All it has to do is cover the space under the plastic face plate. A sheet of 3/4" styrofoam costs about ten USD, I guess 5 pounds over there. You can cut it so it fits into window frames if you are careful, and if you are not careful you can tape it in place with plastic packing tape, at least 2" width. You can glue styrofoam together with white glue (Elmer's) on the edges and packing tape on both sides across the seam. Notice that the foam has a plastic surface on both sides. Leave that in place. If it still gets cold you may have to retreat to a single room where you can block all the drafts and get away from all outside walls.

It is less expensive to keep the heat on but at a lower temp. in the long run because you won't have to heat cold air up to temp repeatedly.

One thing you can do that might help your situation is to use recycled materials like bubble wrap on your single pane windows. I've also heard of people taking cotton balls and using a tooth pick or something slim to poke this stuff along the edges of the window to help stop drafts around the window frames.

Another thing you can do is consider building yourself a passive solar heater and place it INSIDE a south facing window on the sill. Youtube has instructions on various incarnations of passive solar heaters and they can also be made with recycled materials such as aluminum cans. Mine is made with aluminum siding and polystyrene sheathing. (no nails required) Just be sure to block off the airflow after dark because it can also work as a air sink and cool the room at night.

My 1.25m x 1.25m passive heater gave me temps of 129*F (54*C) last winter on cold (well below 0*C) but sunny days. Saved me a good amount of money since my heater never came on during the day.

Take a page from the days of medieval castles. Those big thick tapestries were there for insulation not just as decorations. Same with those heavy curtains on beds.

Good luck I feel for you.

Thick curtains. Thick wood carpets. Block any chimneys with bin bags.

You can get loft insulation for free. See british gas.

Heat only a few rooms. In rooms not being used turn the radiators off.

Heat the house only when you need it. Is it b*****ks cheaper to run the heating all

the time on low.

Source(s): gas, oil, air con engineer www.yhac.net

B +M have some lovely fleecy throws on offer for £9.99. I just shuffle round in one of those. Have you already done the basics suggested here? Insulation, draught excluders, heavy curtains, especially a curtain behind the front door make a huge difference. I love original windows, because my house is rented we have no say in the windows, ours got ripped out and replaced with plastic. They really do the trick with keeping the house warm but :(

Heck that is uncomplicated! to be a Smurf all you would possibly want to do is purchase BLUE bath towels, you'll look like a smurf, when you towel dry your self. i know this, reason my oldest daughter went off to school with blue towels and the first couple of circumstances she used them, she said as residing house to say she replaced right into a SMURF!? lmao for days!! hahahaha i'm already short, so the height thingy does no longer difficulty me somewhat, as for the shade, WTH! i'm recreation, Blue is truly one of my widespread colorations, too!

£5 worth of foam tape and fix the draughts in the windows and doors. British windows don't fit properly. But if you make the place more air-tight, be careful with things like paraffin heaters indoors.

You can get plastic heat-shrink kits that cover the inside of the windows at home improvement stores. You also need to look into blowing insulation into the walls

Take advantage of any free insulation from your energy supplier now. All these offers end at the end of November