question for embalmers?

I am seeking training in this field and come in to contact with the recently deceased often. How long did it take you to learn your craft and what are the benefits of the job and what are the bad points! any useful answers would be appreciated.

• James

Learning the basics of the job didn't take long. If you either know or can easily learn anatomy (especially the locations of arteries and veins), it isn't that difficult to pick up.

To do basic embalming, it takes some practice. In mortuary school, we embalmed ten bodies, and that was enough to do a very basic job. The more advanced things, such as specific cases (dealing with odd types of death - strangulation, morbidly obese, drowning, etc.) takes some learning since not every body is the same. There is no set time frame on how long it takes to learn such a craft.

Once the embalming is done, cosmetics come next, and unless you are already good with them, it can take quite a while to learn. As a man, I never touched cosmetics other than Halloween, and suddenly I had to present a person complete with perfect makeup. I'm still not great at this part, but I'm learning.

I'm not sure if you are looking to combine both and run the entire event or just prepare the deceased for viewing. As an embalmer, the benefits are mostly that you get to continually learn since no two bodies are the same, and you also know that you are involved with having a grieving family getting a good chance to say goodbye to someone they love for the last time. Negatives for an embalmer are that sometimes bodies can have very foul odors, depending on the circumstances, there may be complications that are difficult or impossible to overcome, some cases are bone donors which takes a LONG time to embalm properly, risks of disease from the bodies, risks of cancer from the formaldehyde, risks of being very messy due to the process and the condition of the case, etc. To me, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Source(s): Funeral Service

I don't know a lot about it, but I believe you go to college for it. Probably a school that teaches medicine because of all the biology involved. It is regulated by public health officials because of bio-hazards, especially with those that died of infectious disease and you are handling body fluids. I'm sure it would be a challenge being around mourners all the time. I bet in college you have to take some classes in psychology and grief counseling. Good question. I hope you get some good answers from pros because I'd like to know too.

Oh btw, it is called mortuary science in school curriculums. Look that up in a college in your area for more info.

A good funeral director school would be a good choice. Here's an e-how with some good info, I hope it helps:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2060724_become-embalmer.ht...