Landrover freelander engine swop?

does anyone know if it is easy to swap a petrol 1.8 engine to a diesel 2.0 engine in a land rover freelander 2002, would anything else need changing as I have been told the wiring would need doing as well????

thanks to you all for answering my question its really appreciated, think its time to get rid, although a shame cause its in mint condition inside and out, head gasket about to go for the 2nd time so looks like a new car is needed :( x

How 'easy' it is depends on your level of technical competence and your toolkit.

If you're an experienced tech with access to full garage facilities then it's probably do-able (though I doubt you are if you have to ask in this site) but if you're not then it's probably not economically viable. A garage would take £3-5k to supply and fit a new Diesel engine and you'd buy a couple of old Freelanders for that.

Possible yes, cost effective no. Sell the petrol and buy a diesel. Sorry. Too much to change to make it practical with a Freelander.

The 1.8 properly looked after with the head gasket issue solved is a perfectly good engine.

Go to a good specialist not a main dealer and get the engine fixed.

Look at the series recently in Land Rover Owner on sorting a really bad 1.8 Freelander.

A new head and head gasket are not difficult to get or fit,

Look in LRO for a Specialist near to you.

My suggestion (not answering your question directly) would be to find a scrap car with good diesel engine. This way, you would see easily what was different and have the necessary parts to hand to see it through without extra cost or searching.

The above assumes you have the time, space and inclination. You'd also have a bunch of other spares you could strip and save before taking an axe to the remaining and weighing it in to your local metal dealer.

I am confused about your current head gasket issue though. These cars are not great but a lot of the issues are from the cooling system causing bigger problems and there's only a few reasons a good head job wouldn't last. Are you doing everything possible when you do the work? Getting the head machined, new bolts (tightened correctly) , reputable replacement gasket etc.

• ?

Certainly it has been done but there is a lot more to it than you imagine and to be blunt, on a 10 year old Freelander the cost and time is not worth it.

If you have to ask on here, this job is beyond your abilities. This job requires so many parts, you will be better off just buying a diesel model. Although why you want to keep a Freeloader is beyond me. I am a lifelong Land rover fan, and wouldn't give one scrapyard space.

• Peter

an awful lot of work, ( radiator, starter motor, exhaust and turbo, gearbox, differential, hte list goes on and on.

it can be done, but youre better off buying a diesel one, cheaper than changing the engine, and to be completely honest, I wouldnt do either, I would buy another make of vehicle, frelanders are so unrelaiable and expensive when they go wrong.

It's not as easy if you take it Into land rover with the engine they should fit it it all needs re wiring

• M M M

Forget it,also needed, wiring harness, ecu, exhaust system,possible turbo, etc, as above, you could buy a handful of them with what that would cost you.

why does any one bother with this rubbish after all it's only a ford with a different badge on it.