Why weren't the soldiers in the battle of the somme heroes?

i'm doing an essay and it's due tomorrow. I need answers as to why the soldiers in the battle of the Somme heroes. This is my 'for' paragraph: In the dictionary the definition of the word ‘hero’ is ‘a person who is admired for courage or noble qualities’. These qualities could be things such as... show more i'm doing an essay and it's due tomorrow. I need answers as to why the soldiers in the battle of the Somme heroes. This is my 'for' paragraph:
In the dictionary the definition of the word ‘hero’ is ‘a person who is admired for courage or noble qualities’. These qualities could be things such as doing something for a greater cause, being a good person, showing commitment, and showing self-sacrifice, and prepared to give their life for their cause. In this way, the soldiers in the Battle if the Somme were heroes because, especially in the Salford Pals division, they showed dedication to the cause of the battle, protecting not just France from attack, but Britain too. And after the 2nd failed attack on the German troops, which were firing machine guns at all men who entered their path, many were injured and dead, and though they had a slim chance of surviving the machine guns, and an even smaller chance of surviving long enough to do any proper damage, yet they still fought and killed and were injured or killed in the battle field.

Thanks
1 answer 1