Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Can somebody please explain to me in modern English about this verse from the Bible - (Psalm 141.2)?

• Mark

Significance of Psalm 141:2:

The Law covenant had a shadow of better things to come (Heb 10:1), and it seems that the burning of incense under that arrangement represented the acceptable prayers of God’s faithful servants. The psalmist declared, “May my prayer be prepared as incense before you [Jehovah].” (Ps 141:2) Likewise, the highly symbolic book of Revelation describes those around God’s heavenly throne as having “golden bowls that were full of incense, and the incense means the prayers of the holy ones.”

“A large quantity of incense was given him [an angel] to offer it with the prayers of all the holy ones upon the golden altar that was before the throne.” (Re 5:8; 8:3, 4) In several respects the burning incense served as a fitting symbol of the prayers of the holy ones that are “offered up” (Heb 5:7) night and day (1Th 3:10), and are pleasant to Jehovah.—Pr 15:8.

Incense, of course, could not make the prayers of false worshipers acceptable to God. (Pr 28:9; Mr 12:40) On the other hand, the prayers of a righteous one are effectual. (Jas 5:16) So, too, when a plague from God broke out, Aaron quickly “put the incense on and began making atonement for the people.”—Nu 16:46-48.

to learn more please visit www.jw.org

Source(s): Holy Bible
  • Remember that the Psalms were the Hebrew hymn book. It's all poetry and there's a certain amount of poetic licence.

At the time the Psalms were written, it was the fashion to burn incense in the evening. It was expensive stuff and burning something expensive for the glory of God was seen as a good thing. If the smoke rose straight up (it usually did in the evening air in Palestine), it was considered a sign that your sacrifice and prayer were being accepted.

The Psalm is in a common form of Hebrew poetry with the message in the first line and a second line for emphasis written as a rhyming couplet. A lot of the well-known sayings of Jesus are in this form. The invocation is asking God to accept your prayer in the same way as he (usually) does the rising smoke from burning incense at the evening ceremony.

May my prayer be set before you like incense;

may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

Psalm 141:2

Davis is alluding to the spiritual service of worship practiced in the Tabernacle of God, which was carried out by the Levitical priests, which included the offering of incense before the Lord, and also the daily sacrifice of animals, as prescribed in the Law of Moses.

This was probably practiced in the Tabernacle David had built for the Ark of the Covenant in Zion.

Psalm 141:2 New International Version (©1984)

May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

No explanation needed for me.

Source(s): NIV

Think for a moment about your prayers—about their regularity and their quality. The book of Revelation likens “the prayers of the holy ones” to incense in that acceptable prayers rise to Jehovah like a sweet-smelling and pleasant odor. (Rev. 5:8) In ancient Israel, the incense that was regularly offered on Jehovah’s altar had to be carefully and precisely prepared. It was acceptable to Jehovah only if offered according to the guidelines that he had established. (Ex. 30:34-37; Lev. 10:1, 2) If our heartfelt prayers are similarly formulated, then we can be sure that they are acceptable to Jehovah.

NOTE:

Jehovah or Yahweh is God's personal name - refer to Psalm 83:18 or Exodus Chapter 3

In many verses in Exodus and Numbers God called for the burning of insence in the Temple sacrfices because the sweet aroma was pleasing to Him. And to set aside the sins of the Israelites, the High Priest was required to make both a morning and an evening sacrifice.

So this verse could be rendered: May my prayer be as pleasing to you as sweet incense; may the lifting up of my hands in prayer make me righteous in your eyes.

nicely psalms 118:5-6 God solutions our prayers John 14:14- in case you ask something in my call i will do it. on each occasion we in hassle,we cry to the Lord.and 'The Lord is with me'we additionally believed that the Lord is often with us,guiding us,protecting us anyplace we pass.we could continually no longer be afraid because of the fact we believe that he's there with us. to characteristic up- Jesus says 'He has taken the course. in case you follow him, this might what ensue ,you will come throughout problems,hardships etc yet he says he would be there for you . In front of you,beside you or perhaps in the back of you,,protecting you in particular because of the fact he has walked on that course and he's familiar with what your needs to end your adventure. John sixteen:33 He reported this to set us unfastened(salvation) so we'd have peace.authentic peace and happiness comes from Jesus Christ.Tribulation-what's happening as you will see,in case you have been gazing information yet he has ovecome all this like i discussed above.

Psalm 141 is after Psalm 110 - but David still had God as the "Shepherd" of Psalm 23. David's pleading went to 'deaf' ears.

Source(s): A.K.J.V. Psalm 141 v 2 "Let my prayer etc."

King David sang to Jehovah: “May my prayer be prepared as incense before you.” (Ps. 141:2) Think for a moment about your prayers—about their regularity and their quality. The book of Revelation likens “the prayers of the holy ones” to incense in that acceptable prayers rise to Jehovah like a sweet-smelling and pleasant odor. (Rev. 5:8) In ancient Israel, the incense that was regularly offered on Jehovah’s altar had to be carefully and precisely prepared. It was acceptable to Jehovah only if offered according to the guidelines that he had established. (Ex. 30:34-37; Lev. 10:1, 2) If our heartfelt prayers are similarly formulated, then we can be sure that they are acceptable to Jehovah.

Source(s): Bible student

David prayed to the Lord during the evening. It was/is common practice to raise your hands to the Lord when beseeching him. He also knew God enjoys and accepts the honest, humble prayers of those who petition him, acknowledging that everything must come from his hands.

Biblical incense is a word picture of God's holy satisfaction. Revelation 5:8 and 8:3 refer to the same thing.

Source(s): Let my prayer be set forth before You as incense; the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice. =Ps 141:2