Is it Possible to be Friends with someone you disagree with Politically and Theologically? Will you help?

This question covers the gamut of internet friendships (if you can possibly have that, but at least your contacts) and people in the real world. I happen to be Conservative, Christian, and among other things, Pro-Life. I have friends that are the exact opposite, and we get along fine. However, there are some in... show more This question covers the gamut of internet friendships (if you can possibly have that, but at least your contacts) and people in the real world. I happen to be Conservative, Christian, and among other things, Pro-Life. I have friends that are the exact opposite, and we get along fine. However, there are some in the "real" world and in Y!A that "hate" you for what your beliefs are. Not sure this applies, but it probably happened today. I get a Best Answer on a Question, the person makes me a contact, sends me a very nice and supportive email, and the next thing I know, I am BLOCKED? Now, either this person read some of my possibly more conservative comments on some other questions, or some human debris got to her. There is a huge difference between having a belief system about social and economic issues, and affecting transference to the person personally. I have high regard and the utmost respect for some atheist, pro-choice or pro-abortion people, liberals, whatever, and we are able to have civil discourse. So, with all due respect, can others here please impart upon me their own opinion. I take this personally, but trust me, no sleep will be lost over this, but I do want to try to empathize and understand this mindset. It is a troubling dynamic that crosses party lines, but there is an obvious 'disconnect' with someone that suddenly feels the compulsion to Block me after it was they that make me a Contact. Perhaps just a mind game, but also try to look at the broader issue. The mindless answerers with little to say, I know I have to accept you as well, but please just try to give an honest answer here. Thanks, Thomas
______________________________________...
Update: Never in my wildest dreams did I expect every answer so far to be so insightful, respectful, and from the heart. By that I was anticipating the usual nonsensical or hate trimmed post, but I just say I have been delighted to see otherwise. Civil discourse invites dialogue, change, and compromise. As long as... show more Never in my wildest dreams did I expect every answer so far to be so insightful, respectful, and from the heart. By that I was anticipating the usual nonsensical or hate trimmed post, but I just say I have been delighted to see otherwise. Civil discourse invites dialogue, change, and compromise. As long as someone accepts me for who I am and is not so argumentative and loud (even over the airwaves) we can get places in this world, even on topics like politics, faith & even abortion. One comment on abortion because one answerer brought it up and overall had a wonderful answer. Let's say I am totally wrong in my Pro-Life views: well, certainly, in a free society, I still have a right to an opinion, don't I? Would this be the only subject in history where ones right to free speech or even maybe a written opinion is turned away simply because I have not had a baby myself?

Thanks to everyone who answered so far.
_______________________________________...
Update 2: This has been inactive last couple days so will close it out. I do appreciate the response and the answers, wow! Many really sapient answers, especially Soc, Gene, Rosalinda, Mr. Chao & ★Ŕ♡MΛŔƐ★.....if I forgot anyone deserving of Best Answer not mentioned no offense, as this was a great group of posters. I... show more This has been inactive last couple days so will close it out. I do appreciate the response and the answers, wow! Many really sapient answers, especially Soc, Gene, Rosalinda, Mr. Chao & ★Ŕ♡MΛŔƐ★.....if I forgot anyone deserving of Best Answer not mentioned no offense, as this was a great group of posters. I picked the Best Answer on the one that moved me the most, though many were deserving. Many thanks. Thomas