Dark asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

How can I heat up the water in a fish tank to a certain temperature?

I want to heat it up inside the water, not like a pad. I also want it to be flexible like up to 75 degrees and as low as 50 and I also don't want to spend more than 50 dollars. I need it for a few tanks, not just one so it has to be a pretty custom idea. I'm doing this for a college experiment for marine biology.

Favorite Answer

To heat or cool multiple tanks you would be looking at a large in-line heater or chiller to be used with a sump system. This would be an expensive set up. The only other way I could think of would be to get them isolated in a room and control the room temp with he existing furnace/ac system. Even then I am not sure you could get it down to 50.

Three-5 degrees in 2 hours would be an excessive amount of. 10-15 levels in 12 hours could be an excessive amount of, Your room could also be heat but the tank water will likely be cooler, don't are trying changing things through including water or ice. Besides for preserving the tank in an additional part of the residence. A correct tank chiller or a heater is the one way to stabilize the temperature safely. An air condition might help, but I don't know should you particularly want it. So long as the water stays reasonably low most of the day, it is better for it to be stable then to soar even as you try to exchange it. What temperature is the tank water? I advocate you get an electic thermometer, that you would be able to get one for $3, then you are going to be competent to really know what the water temp is and the way so much it changes while you do water alterations, and that you would be able to measure the new water earlier than you add it.

• Mike

As for heating. You can get a submersible aquarium heater for around $20 as for chilling it down to 50 degrees the cheapest route would be to add ice to the tank or freeze a old 2 liter and let it float in the tank. A chiller will run you well over your $50 budjet.

Source(s): Many years at a petstore

if the water is common to all the tanks, and the temp is the same in all the tanks,

then the idea in the other posts, of using a sump with a chiller and a couple aquarium heaters would work.

if the water is not common to all the tanks, then you need separate heaters and chillers for each tank.

You can get an aquarium heater AND chiller, though a chiller will be expensive.

Other than that, I can't think of any other way to cool the water as low as 50*F.