Religion and rosarys?

Ok I heard it was disrespectful to wear a rosary around your neck can somebody explain when and where are you supposed to wear a rosary.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

Depends on the religion. In the Catholic religion, because it's a tool of meditation, not fashion, the rosary is not supposed to be worn as jewellery. It's disrespectful.

However, there are other belief systems that utilize prayer beads and see no problems with them being worn.

Source(s): Former RC
  • 8 years ago

A rosary is for meditation, not for fashion. No, you're not supposed to wear them as a fashion statement. You can carry them in a pouch or purse and use them when and where appropriate. Prayers beads are common to many religions. No, rosary beads did not "come from" Hindu or Buddhist prayer beads. A Christian rosary is just one type of prayer beads. The rosary is meant to say a series of Catholic prayers, namely the Hail Mary while meditating on a series of events from the life and passion of Christ.

As for malas ( the word translates as "garland"), which are HIndu or Buddhist prayer beads, they are also meant to be used to recited prayers --most very short but some long--and to accumulate recitations of the prayer recited. Some malas come with counters to keep track of how many times a prayer or mantra has been said. Depending on the tradition, they are kept safe in a pouch or container before use or else worn at all times and kept under a pilow while one sleeps. They are not to be worn as fashion but some people in the New Age and Western Yoga set do this as well although they are more likely to use the and know how to use the mala they wear than the Western person who goes about wearing a Catholic rosary.

• 8 years ago

Rosaries have nothing to do with christianity rosaries are from other religions adopted into catholicism

Try reading from www.remnantofgod.org under warnings or bible truths.

• 8 years ago

Wrap it around your wrist? It's what I do with my Juzu when I'm using them in service. They go in a bag other times.

(The rosary came from Buddhist prayer beads) :)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

it is if you are not that religion then you would be insulting their beliefs and religion which is sacred to them.

My neice was doing it because she thought it was cool, i explained to her that she is not of that religion and she should respect others religion and not wear the rosary because she was not catholic.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You can wear a rosary on you're hip.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No that's right.

• 8 years ago

i had a gf who used them to massage certain areas. it was good.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.