Car making noise when accelerating?

Hi, I have a 2005 mazda 6 1.8 petrol. So, recently it's been sounding rough, a creaking tinking noise from around front middle area, basically under centre console. Mrs took it out and going up a steep hill she said it really struggled.

So, took to garage they said cat was breaking down. Had new cat and full exhaust put on. Clown put a cheap exhaust on that makes a bad noise and will be returning that. Anyway, car went ok for a day or two, no sound (except stupid exhaust) however, I took it up the same hill and I usually do 60-70mph at around 5k revs in 3rd. It wouldn't let me go past 5.5k revs at all and only doing 55-60. Seems it won't hit over 5.5k revs and when close it sounds like a massive whirring as the engine is working.

When idling at lights it's fine, as I pull off there is a noticeable but not too loud clicky creaking sound from around under the centre console as the clutch comes up and accelerator goes down, bite basically. More accelerator as I can coast and touch it and hear it.

Immediately I believe it wasn't the cat and was mis diagnosed, but I have a new one so.. Just interested in what this could be.

I've tried to give as much detail as I can and realise it could be a number of things but any ideas appreciated.

Thank you.

• Jon S

The symptoms and the noise match a cat failure.

Basically the matrix comes adrift inside the can and blocks the exhaust, thus restricting power. If it carries on moving around it has a tinny rattle.

Wouldn't be the first time a new component was faulty. Take it back!