Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 7 years ago

Baby Name Section: Care to take this little survey?

1. What is your favorite unusual name?

2. What is an alternative spelling you prefer to the original? (includes legitimate foreign spellings)

3. What's a "unisex" name that looks all right on one gender, but awful on the other?

4. What really bugs you in the baby naming community?

5. How would you classify your taste in names?

6. What's a trend or trending name you just don't get?

7. When looking for new names, where do you find inspiration?

8. What's a name that you love, but everyone else seems to hate?

9. What is your current favorite male and female name?

Thank you for answering. I'd love to read all your answers!

1. (My username is actually lol) Arianwen Eilir (ar-YON-wen --- ay-leer).

2. Evelin (although I like Evelyn as well, I jut prefer the letter I over the letter Y).

3. Most of these common unisex names like Mackenzie, Kennedy, Aubrey. They just all better suit their original masculine rolls. They come off as a tacky and low class on girls. IMO

4. People who impersonate other users and people who take a simple opinion far to seriously.

5. Traditional/modern.

6. Brynlee

7. Literature, history/historical figures.

8. Eugenia <3

9. Jacqueline (girl) and Madison (boy).

• Ariana

1. What is your favourite unusual name?

• I would probably say that my favourite unusual name would be Araminta. I love the spelling of it and how it flows so easily when said aloud.

2. What is an alternative spelling you prefer to the original?

• To be honest, I really don't think that there is one. I prefer the classic, traditional spellings over the alternative ones. The only real alternative I like is Elisabeth, but even then I much prefer Elizabeth.

3. What is a "unisex" name that looks all right on one gender, but awful on the other?

• I would say most unisex names, especially Mackenzie, Regan, Tyler, Ashton, and Madison. I don't have a problem with any of them on boys, but really don't like them on girls. At the place where I work, there's at least one little girl with each one of these names, and while they are adorable kids, it drives me insane. It was so incredibly refreshing when I found out that little Jasmine, Ella, Tahlia, and Madeleine had normal female names

4. What really bugs you in the naming community?

• People who are rude to other users (may it be in a troll kind of way or "this is my opinion and it is correct" way)

• Those people who asks questions like "What do you think of the name TickieTockie for a girl?"

• You know, I'm honestly not sure. I suppose you could class the female names as feminine, as that's what they mostly are, and possibly elegant, but I really don't know for the boys

• Random Ys chucked into names

• Using very male-dominated names on girls

• Made up names

• I work with kids, so I hear a lot of the names I like at work. Also throughout the Baby Names community

• Tallulah. A lot of people don't seem to like this name very much, but I love it. Same thing with Maisie

9. What is your current favourite male and female name?

• Elizabeth Clementine Poppy

• Sebastian Thomas

• 1. What is your favorite unusual name?

- I like the name Laken and Larkin. I found the name on here one time and I fell in love with it.

- I like Sophia better than Sofia. Not sure what the original spelling is, but I like Sophia better. Or Gabriella better than Gabrielle.

- I think the name Avery. I think it looks great on a girl, but I cannot see a boy with that name.

- All of the common/filler middle names! It seems like every time someone is naming Marie or Rose with Olivia and it gets annoying and it's so boring! Add some spice to the name and make it unique! I'm sure there's about 100 Olivia's with the middle name Marie just in their city!

- Modern but classy.

- I don't really think I know any trending names.. or trends..

7. When look for new names, where do you find inspiration?

- Either here or on some baby name website.

- Hm.. Brooklyn maybe? Not sure on this question..

- I love the name Noelle for a girl and Cameron for a boy. :)

• Mega

1. What is your favorite unusual name?

I have quite a few... My favorite though is Maewyn.

Maewyn (it should be Maewen). [original? That's hard to know in some cases.]

(also Lewis over the more standard Louis)

Cameron (better for a boy) or Carol (better for a girl). (Just my opinion)

The closed mindedness of some. I understand not all names appeal equally, but some people seem to think that it's ludicrous to have a differing viewpoint and that there is some divine dictate regarding naming.

Eclectic. I like Enheduanna, Rose, Tessa, Milo, Ludovic, and James.

Andro-girly names ( http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2012/9/styl... )

Truly, I sometimes feel like I've heard them all...which is absolutely ridiculous. And so I delve into literature, history, biology (flowers, butterflies, etc), wherever I can unearth intriguing new possibilities. The names of deities, exotic appellations, virtues, musicians, royalty, and so forth. I also love folkloric/fairy tale names (like Vasilisa, Fiordelisa, Luliyya, Florian...).

Lord in heaven, I have oodles. Enheduanna, Snejana, Scheherazade, Ebba, Judicael, Exuperius, Ludo, Orpheus...this list could go on for a while.

Long-time favorites have been Levi and Maewyn "Maggie", but Levi may have been eclipsed by Miles "Milo". {Levi Orpheus William/Miles "Milo" Raphael Lewis and Maewyn Persephone Grace "Maggie Grace"}

:D

1. Is Calliope unusual enough? Otherwise perhaps Aspen.

2. I'm not sure which is the original spelling but I much prefer Isobel to Isabelle.

3. Hayden - I think it looks terrible on girls.

4. People asking for unique names but 'not too out there' - it doesn't make sense.

5. I really don't know - I guess I prefer more vintage names and sometimes quite unusual (but legitimate) names.

6. I never understood Nevaeh or the -ayden thing. Also, I will just never see the appeal of crazy spellings.

7. Everywhere. Things I read and watch, people I meet, name books, websites. Names are something I'm always on the lookout for, and even friends pass on unusual names that they come across.

8. Calliope - everyone I've ever mentioned it to has cringed. Claudia and Ingrid often get similar reactions.

9. Claudia and Brennan.

• Ariel

1. Hmm. I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but I love the name Cassia, and I don't see it often.

2. Honestly I can't think of one. If I do, I'll edit this, but I nearly always prefer the traditional spelling.

3. Cameron. It's completely masculine to me. I love it for a boy, and would use it if I ever had a boy. But I don't like it on girls.

4. It's a tie between the tryndee, yooghneik spellings that are popular right now, and boy names on girls and vice versa.

5. Umm I'm not sure. A mix of classic and unusual modern. Though many of them are becoming more common! I could be completely off though.

6. Same as number 4.

7. Books, a lot of the time. I'd never heard the name Cassia before reading a book. Same with Rue, but now I like both. (that also works negatively, though: I'm reading a book right now where "Peter" is a horrible, violent, awful person. I never really liked the name before enough to use it, but now it just seems...mean!)

8. I'm not sure. I don't see them everywhere too often, so I don't know the general opinion about them!

9. For a boy: Cameron Oliver

For a girl: Elise Violetta

1. For a boy: Narcissus. A GP. For a girl: Hildegarde. Also a GP.

2. I like Rebecca well enough but the original Rebekah has always been an eye-sore.

3. Pretty much ALL the so called "unisex" names look sickening on girls, because they're not really girl names but rather hijacked boy names. The only exceptions to this are legitimate unisex names like Joan, Augustine, Andrea etc.

4. That barely anyone on here gives decent answers. If I ask a question, I expect more than a single line! Likewise, I hate how everyone is so pro boy-names-for-girls on here, and how those same people will attempt gang up on people who want to use "unisex" names for boys. It bugs me that so many people ask for opinions but now it's a common occurrence for them to ignore criticism or throw a tantrum. It also bothers me that a lot of people on here are anti traditional names. Don't get me wrong, they looooove generic classics like Alexander and Charlotte, but if you deviate away from that pattern you're likely to get a few "that's an old person's name" comments or a "why can't you give your kid a NORMAL name" comments. I could go on forever, really.

5. One word: Outdated. With a few more modern classics thrown in as middle names.

6. Boy names for girls, naturally. Even that one line doesn't make sense, never mind the entire trend! BOY names for girls? There are no boy names for girls, because girls are not boys and boys are not girls! It's not rocket-science, people!

7. Nymber, Nameberry, babynamesworld and just Google in general. It's awfully hard to find the "right" outdated name, and since next to no one has the same taste in names that I do (or to such an extreme) I always do independent research.

8. Gertrude Eleanor Victoria. People like Eleanor and Victoria but they just can't see past the whole; "Gertrude is the most ugly name in the world" prejudice that has been built up over the years. Etheldreda, Johnette, Bathsheda, Gordona, Fredegunde and Brumhilda are far less pleasing to the eye but, no one ever takes that into consideration...

9. Dorian Alexis Charles + Gertrude Eleanor Victoria

1. Lola and Jensen!

2. I don't really think I have any.. I think all of my favorite names are original spellings!

3. Well people think that Ryan is a "unisex" name, and I like it for a boy, not a girl. Other than that probably just Blake.. I think it is okay for a boy, not a girl though.

4. People that not only give clear boy names to girls (not even unisex names.. like real boy names) and then butcher the spelling of the names as well.. and just butchering the spelling of names in general.

5. I think my taste in names is more along the lines of classic and popular unfortunately.. I just can't get away from those trendy names.. but I love them.

6. Addison for a girl. I don't like it for either gender.. I don't think it sounds feminine or masculine.. just ugly. I dislike it.

7. I mostly look on here or look for some more classic names like popular names from a few decades ago.

8. I like the name Riley for a girl.. but a lot of people are against me for that.

9. Male: Jack / Female: Emma

• 1. Joaquin for a boy

2. I prefer Norah over Nora

3. I think Avery is way cuter on a boy.

4. trolls and people who freak out over nothing

5. I don't know if I really have a style. I like names that are recognizable, but not popular (unless the name means something to me like Olivia).

6. The name Madison - for either gender. It is definitely my least favorite name

7. The Internet. I spend a lot of my time on different baby name websites. I find names in other ways, too, such as television, books, and people I know

8. Hadassah: Not everyone hates it, but that's probably the one with the most nos. I get a lot of mixed feelings about that one.

9. Roman for a boy and Daphne for a girl

1. Octavia for a girl & Alaric for a boy.

2. Isobel, rather than Isabel or Isabelle. This is the Scottish spelling, and I find it much softer and prettier looking. I also pronounce it slightly differently, so it sounds softer than Isabel too. It's currently my second favourite name for a girl.

3. Aubrey. I love this name for a boy; it's handsome, traditional and refined. On a girl however, it just comes across as trendy and overused. Also anything super masculine like Sawyer, Hunter, Ryan etc. Those sound ridiculous on girls.

4. The baby naming community on here? The cliques. I'm not here for a popularity contest, I just want to chat about baby names.

5. I'd say my style is traditional/old fashioned with a quirky twist. My favourite names consist of a few timeless classics, like William, a few more old fashioned names, like Daphne, and a few offbeat names like Courtland. I love literary names, regal names and medieval names.

6. Trend - boys' names on girls. Or misspelled names. Trending name - Peyton. It's so harsh sounding, I don't see the appeal at all. It's not pretty, elegant, strong or feminine, so I have no idea why it's so popular for girls.

7. Usually on here! I come across loads of great names on here that I've never heard before. I find that baby name websites with lists of names are a bit overwhelming, whereas here you may find a few gems each week, which is more manageable and more exciting when you do find one.

8. Beatrice. I find this name strong, substantial and regal, and I think it would work on a girl today. It's my 21 year old cousin's middle name, so I don't see it as just an 'old lady' name. I have Beatrice Lily on my name list and I'm not sure why people hate it so much! I think it's pretty.

9. Alastair Charles & Serena Catherine. These have been my favourite names for a few years now.

=)

1) My favorite "unusual" name is Ronan. It's not as unusual as it is uncommon though.

2) My name, Jayde, is spelled differently than Jade but I like it better.

3) Personally, I think the "unisex" name that looks nice on a boy that doesn't work for a girl is Mackenzie. I feel it's a masculine name and that it should only be used on boys.

4) It bothers me that older names are somewhat frowned upon. I hate the trendy naming style.

5) I would classify my taste in names as traditional or classic.

6) I don't get why male names are used on females.

7) I get my inspiration from people who I look up to, family members, and names that mean something.

8) I love the name Ronan, but I can't find many other people that like it.

9) Male: Evan William, Female: Katherine Rosalie

You're welcome!:)