How long is too long to wait to be proposed to?

We've been together nearly 4 and 1/2 years. We've talked about marriage, but he kinda seems to avoid the subject. I don't want to put too much pressure on him but I'm getting kind of antsy. He took me to look at engagement rings over the summer but now nothing has come of it. I know he loves me... show more We've been together nearly 4 and 1/2 years. We've talked about marriage, but he kinda seems to avoid the subject. I don't want to put too much pressure on him but I'm getting kind of antsy. He took me to look at engagement rings over the summer but now nothing has come of it. I know he loves me and I love him, but I'm really ready for the next level of commitment. And I know an ultimatum won't work. We're still young.. I'm 24, he's 25... but most people we know are starting to tie the knot.. Will I be waiting forever? :(
Update: There was no mention of dumping him here... but the reality is some relationships get to a point where its either commit or move on.. I don't want it to come to that... but I don't want to invest my time in a relationship that may never amount to marriage.. And money doesn't really seem to be an issue... show more There was no mention of dumping him here... but the reality is some relationships get to a point where its either commit or move on.. I don't want it to come to that... but I don't want to invest my time in a relationship that may never amount to marriage..
And money doesn't really seem to be an issue for him... but its not about an expensive ring for me AT ALL... its about a commitment.
Update 2: Also... I told him that I wouldn't live with him until we are at least engaged...