promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do we christians eat Pork..if the Bible prohibits the consumption of pork?

The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth

not the cud; he is unclean to you”.

“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,

they are unclean to you.” [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,

it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their

dead carcass.” [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

P.S I must admit, I really like pork and can it it everyday.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

It's easy, as long as one decides if some laws don't have to be followed.

Odd how people say "You don't need to follow Leviticus, but, you do need to follow Leviticus"

(pork vs being gay)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 years ago

Not eating dog or swine meat was, like not working on Sundays was included in the laws of Moses for the good of Mankind. In the sanitary conditions of the early Middle East eating the flesh of scavengers was likely to infest your body with parasites. When Saint Paul decided to try to convert dwellers in other parts of the Mediterranean world he found many of the elements of the laws of Moses an insuperable obstacle, and risked a row with most of the disciples to forgo it as a condition of conversion. Permitted to go on eating pork and not undergo the pain of adult circumcision, many of the Gentiles were ready to accept Christianity in its new Pauline version. The rest as they say is history. The church was even able to compromise with the Roman state and accept a transfer of the Sabbath to the day of the Sun, favoured by the imperial administration.

• Mr Ed
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

In the Bible, the Israelites were forbidden to eat pork, They also had a lot of other laws that no longer apply. In the New testament, when gentiles were added to the church, they were told they didn't need to concern themselves with such restrictions.

• 8 years ago

Yea, and prawns, and it forbiddeth haircuts for men, and crop rotation and wearing nylon-cotton shirts, and shaking hands with any women, and owning a Jewish slave (others are ok), and being a disobedient child:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 King James Version (KJV)

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Source(s): Yea, hear and fear, folks, He's commin for ya !
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Because it (The Bible), doesn't.

See Acts 10, among others.

It being prohibited at one place in one verse for one particular time... does not mean that it is prohibited now.

You may have noticed that people like to eat. Lots of foods are tasty... and one way God directed the Jews in being separate from the world was in the things they were allowed to eat. It would be a constant reminder, as we all eat multiple times per day, that God has chosen you apart to be His people... and He your God. That was not the end-all be-all to God's will, and it was not intended to be forever.

• Yes, I know !

Me and my family have stopped eating pork after friends told us about this(REALLY HARD TO STOP)

What I've learned about allot of churches is that the Pastor only teaches half the verse. They only read about it till it fits them, and Modern Society. They don't Teach the whole Bible (Just like if you look at the Old testament, They just throw that away, "NOPE ITS NOT APPLICABLE BECAUSE THE SAVIOR CHRIST HAS ALREADY DIED FOR OUR SINS, SO NOW THAT IS FOR FULLED"

that is really ridiculous WHY would GOD give us the BIBLE and then give us information that "is not applicable". I believe everything in GOD's Bible is to be read and to be obeyed. So I agree on the fact that we shouldn't eat Pork, rabbits, dogs, cats, oysters, because the Bible says that you should not eat any unclean creature. I hope I was helpful :)

• 8 years ago

Because christianity became complacent and they started saying that because Jesus said its not by only avoiding pork and praying which will get you to heaven (not exact quotes obviously) that people started to say that the prohibition of pork was not so important as the kind heart, and of course that is true. But that never made pork allowable. Same as adultery, for example, never became allowed.

The law still stands, but Jesus message was , "Have a heart also". (ALSO!)

Trying to convert Eurpoeans back then to christianity was difficult because they were major pork eaters and they didnt want to be circumcised either. , so the church ditched the pork and circumcision obligation because people were reluctant to become christians because it seemed harsh. The main thing was to get converts first and then talk about details later.

• Jimbo
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The prohibition on eating pork was given to the Jews. Christians are under a new Covenant with God and the food laws are no longer in effect for us.

• Graham
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Acts 10

Peter’s Vision

9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It’s not very healthy to eat pork. Hot dogs cause cancer and all pork products contribute to high cholesterol, heart disease and other health aliments. The bible warns you against many things that are bad for you. It’s not saying that doing them will exclude you from heaven but they may shorten your earthly life and have you dealing with eternity a lot quicker.

• 8 years ago

short answer: we aren't levites.

Leviticus was written as the manual for the pastors and temple workers.

Beyond that you get in to Old Covenant/ New Covenant stuff.

Ultimately it is ok to eat pork because it is no-longer useful for having unity with God.

Source(s): Great book After Eden.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.