I'm looking to update my wardrobe, but I don't know where to start?

I'm looking to add a bit more "formality" to my wardrobe, so I can up my style from laid back casual to smart casual, however, I'm having a bit of a problem choosing some essential pieces to lay down the foundation for my wardrobe. I've adopted an awful habit of purchasing an item without any... show more I'm looking to add a bit more "formality" to my wardrobe, so I can up my style from laid back casual to smart casual, however, I'm having a bit of a problem choosing some essential pieces to lay down the foundation for my wardrobe. I've adopted an awful habit of purchasing an item without any foresight if it would go with anything I currently own.

I was wondering if any of you here could suggest some essential statement pieces that can start - and really make up my wardrobe. I'd like something modern and young (I'm only 17), but at the same time something that looks well put together.

Thank you in advance, and I'll really appreciate any input you guys might like to give.