Why would a transgender person feel ashamed or scared to tell their best friend about them?

I know my question doesn't make sense, so I will explain I decided to ask this tonight and see what answers I get. My best friend knows she's 90% of my heart and has been since the day we became friends in middle school. Back then she was this hot boy named Jay and everyone was crazy for her. Over the... show more I know my question doesn't make sense, so I will explain
I decided to ask this tonight and see what answers I get. My best friend knows she's 90% of my heart and has been since the day we became friends in middle school. Back then she was this hot boy named Jay and everyone was crazy for her. Over the summer I noticed some slight boobage and noticed that Jay was wearing makeup, I thought he was beautiful and eccentric only to find out that Jay wasn't a boy. Jay was a girl and wanted to be called Destiny. I found out awhile ago (4 months) that she was trans and didn't want to say anything out of fear. I'm her friend and I'll love her no matter what. I don't know a lot about transgender people, but she tries to teach me some stuff and I've got to be apart of her therapy sessions two or three times.
I read a question where a girl hated that she was trans over what someone posted over the internet. I went through something like that a week ago with my friend and that's why I asked this. My Destiny thought I would think of her as still a boy and wouldn't accept her, why? I realized that she was never a boy a long time ago and that this is who she is and there's nothing wrong with her. We talk about girl stuff and deal with drama from stupid bitc-- girls together. She's no different from me.
Update: In case you're wondering, we're both 16 now so you can imagine I wasn't shocked to know she was trans. My problem was that she thought I wouldn't love or accept her anymore because of that and that's dumb. Like I said I'll love her no matter what and I support her in anything and everything... show more In case you're wondering, we're both 16 now so you can imagine I wasn't shocked to know she was trans. My problem was that she thought I wouldn't love or accept her anymore because of that and that's dumb. Like I said I'll love her no matter what and I support her in anything and everything as long as she's happy and it's not harmful.
Update 2: @Clones: How anybody could stop loving or talking to someone over transsexualism (correct me if I'm wrong) is stupid. It's not like a person asked to be transgendered or anything, smh. I remember before my friend started the hormones and things she didn't really call herself trans. There were days where... show more @Clones: How anybody could stop loving or talking to someone over transsexualism (correct me if I'm wrong) is stupid. It's not like a person asked to be transgendered or anything, smh. I remember before my friend started the hormones and things she didn't really call herself trans. There were days where she looked really sad and would cringe when she was called by Jay/Jason and male pronouns, that's when I knew she wasn't a guy. We thought she was because that's what we saw, but I think she was finally getting sick and tired of people not seeing who she really was. I swear that I felt her pain and it was like torture. I never ever in my life want to see her like that again and if anything that experience taught me that I could only love her more. Destiny is a strong person (like many transmen and women) and I tell her this everyday, to go through what she felt inside while trying to stay sane takes a lot of strength. :o) That's my angel.