Do I need to be insured to test drive cars I want to purchase?

I am looking to buy a new car, so far I have test drove 3 cars this week and my colleague at work has just notified me that I am probably breaking the law. I am buying a car either through auto trader or ebay (Fiat Stilo incase anyone is selling) so most the sellers are private, I currently drive a VW Polo... show more I am looking to buy a new car, so far I have test drove 3 cars this week and my colleague at work has just notified me that I am probably breaking the law.

I am buying a car either through auto trader or ebay (Fiat Stilo incase anyone is selling)
so most the sellers are private, I currently drive a VW Polo fully comp, does that insurance not cover me to drive someone else's car even if they are in it ?

What about their insurance, does that not cover me ?

And if I'm not insured, what would I have to do to make sure I am not breaking the law ? A temporary insurance costs me nearly £100 as I am quite young, its an absurd amount to pay just to test the car (about 10%) and its completely ill advised to buy a car without first test driving it ?

Regards
Omar*