Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 8 years ago

how can I tell my friend to dress more appropriately without hurting her?

My birthday is coming up and my family are the types of people who are very modest people. My grandma, aunts and uncles are going to be there. And she wear very indecent clothing at the most unappropriate times. Its pratically something that you wear at clubs not birthdays. She's 16 and how do i tell her to dress less revealing.?

Her shorts would be considered underwears to most people, since some parts of her butt shows.

Please help! I dont want to upset her!

Tell her your family is modest and will be upset if she's not dressed modestly. Tell her that you don't have a problem with it, but they will, and you don't want them to be upset.

• Mk

Tell her it's semi-formal and plan your outfits together. You don't have to tell her, "hey don't dress like a ho". You should be able to get around it easily if you start a conversation along the lines of "I'm wearing (outfit) to my birthday thing. How about you? You have that awesome knee-length dress that would make me feel less silly than dressing up alone."

Tell her to hide the goodies as a present for you to unwrap later.

Your problem is she is in a stage of life where she wants a lot of attention and is also trying to be a showoff, and doesn't realize your family saw you naked as a baby and just aren't going to be impressed by a teenager who shows a lot of her skin. They've seen skin, and would rather see personality, and have a good talk.

• Just straight out tell her. Be polite about it. Just tell her, if you are coming to my birthday you need to dress appropriately and not showing all your skin. If she is a true friend she will understand.

• Willow

She's your friend, right? Just be straight forward with her. "My family will be at my birthday and they are a bit conservative. While the way you dress doesn't bother me, my family may consider it a bit risque. Could you please dress a little bit less revealing?" If she doesn't understand that, then just don't let her come.

For men this is easy. We just directly tell our friends "hey brother, no smoking at my parents house today". Women complicate things with their feelings. If she has no respect for your parents house and their rules. Then she doesn't sound like a good friend.

• Mabe

Just tell her you don't like what she wears. At least be honest, and if she doesn't change it, better to know it now, and be ready to move on.

"Hey, my family is conservative when it comes to clothing. So could you be careful with what you choose to wear?"

Source(s): That's all I got.

Tell her your family is conservative and to keep that in mind when she picks her outfit. Best way I can think of.

• Joel

If you are ashamed of your girlfriend, that means you don't really love her the way she is: you want her to change and to transform herself in a woman YOU'll be proud of, but she'll have to contrive herself and play a role and be fake, which is very detrimental for self esteem. You have to stop changing her. It's not good to keep pressuring her to change and to compare her to others. You need to respect her constitutional freedoms too.