Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

What are some grocerys i can buy at the store that will help me cook meals to last at least 2 weeks?

Hi i usaully buy pork chops chicken, veggys,mac n chesse, fish, mash patatoes, steak, hambuger helper ect... Im newly married and it seems im cookn my family the same meals all the time its getting old...what are some other meals i can try cookn please help would mean alot...also this only last for about a week and a few days we are on a buget so I spend almost 3

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

Before recipes a tip to help you not make the same things over and over. At the top of your grocery list write out Mon, Tues, Wed, etc - now write in a dish next to each day. Sometime you might even write in "leftovers" but this way you have a specific meal idea for each day.

This should help keep you from buying stuff you don't need and eliminate trips to the store for that one thing that you need and don't have. If you're on a budget both of those things end up costing you more money.

Of course this menu plan isn't set in stone, if Tues comes along and you just don't want the chicken dish you had planned you can switch out with the pork chops you had planned for Thurs.

Now recipes, Chicken Pot Pie - We love this one. It doesn’t take any time to throw together and it’s delicious. Be sure to read the note at the end or the crust may not turn out well.

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks

¾ cp frozen whole kernal corn

½ can green beans

¾ cp frozen sliced carrots

¼ cp frozen peas

1 jar Heinz Chicken Gravy

1 ¾ cp Bisquick

1 egg

2/3 cp milk

Preheat the oven to 375*

Spray a hot skillet with cooking spray and add the chicken chunks. Cover and cook on med heat 5 min, toss the pieces, cover and cook another 3-5 min or until browned and cooked thru.

In a med bowl stir together the chicken chunks, corn, green beans, carrots and gravy. Set aside. 2 – 2 ½ cps of any fresh, canned or frozen veggies can be used.

In another bowl mix the Bisquick with the egg and milk. Stirring just till blended.

Spray a deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. (It can also be cooked in 4 smaller single serving dishes, 10-12 oz size) Spoon the chicken gravy mixture into the prepared pan. Spoon the Bisquick mixture over the filling.

IMPORTANT DO NOT try to put the top crust it in the middle and spread it out. It will be too thick in the middle to cook through. You must put spoonfuls around the edges, maybe an inch or so apart and then a spoonful or two in the middle. Spread it out as evenly as possible. Bake 25 min or until the crust is golden brown.

Chunky Taco Soup This is a big hit with everyone who’s ever tried it and a monkey (Tim) could make it. It’s sooooo easy!

1 lb hamburger

1 med onion, chopped

3 cps water

1 pkg taco seasoning

1-15 oz can black beans

1-15 oz cans pinto beans

2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes – undrained

1-15 oz can creamed corn

Broken tortilla chips

Shredded cheddar cheese

Sour cream

1/4 cp fresh cilantro, minced

In a large kettle, brown hamburger and onion in oil. Drain excess oil.

Rinse the pinto beans, and black beans with water in a colander. Add them to the pot. Stir in the diced tomatoes, creamed corn, water, taco seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes or a couple of hours, it’s all good. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serve with broken tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and sour cream as toppings.

Cilantro Chicken – If you like cilantro you’ll love this one. I just discovered it a few months ago but I make it a lot now. It’s so fresh and delicious!

1 Tbls olive oil

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into thin strips

1 Tbls minced garlic

½ cp dry white wine

1 Tbls butter

1/3 cp chopped fresh cilantro

¼ cp fresh lime juice

2 cps cooked brown Minute Rice

Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

Heat olive oil in skillet over med-hi heat; add chicken and garlic and cook until chicken is fully cooked and lightly browned. Add wine and simmer 2 min. Stir in butter. Add cilantro, lime juice and chilies if desired. Stir in rice. Sprinkle with additional chipped fresh cilantro. Serves 4.

Fried Potatoes

6 potatoes, sliced

1 onion, chopped

Salt & Pepper

4 Tbls butter

Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes and stir them around so they become coated with butter. Throw in the onions, salt and pepper to taste. Stir again, put the lid on and simmer 10-15 min stir occasionally. Stick the potatoes with a fork and when they are done remove the lid and cook another 5 min or so till they've browned a little.

Potato Casserole

7-8 potatoes

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 cp milk

1 cp sour cream

1/2 cp green onion

1 cp shredded Cheddar

Salt & Pepper

Boil the potatoes till done, peel and shred. (You can slice them but I prefer them shredded). Place the shredded potatoes in a 9x12 baking dish. In a bowl combine the soup, milk, sour cream, salt & pepper till well blended. Gently stir in the green onions and cheese. Pour this concoction over the potatoes. Don't try to stir it into the potatoes, just sort of lift the potatoes and let some of the sauce run under them. You can stir them better later when they're hot. Bake at *350 for 30 min. Top with another cup or so of cheese and bake till it's melted.

• Sandra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

My husband & I are going thru the same thing! It seems like we buy healthy stuff and then never have anything to eat. I think it's because the people who produce the food understand that many people are willing to pay more to continue eating healthy, rather than eating pizza rolls and ramen all the time. For example - a 20 oz bottle of soda is way cheaper than the same size bottle of fruit juice. Pay attention to how much you are paying per oz/lb. The bigger jar of peanut butter may be $2.00 more, but you're actually paying 10 cents less per oz b/c you're buying in bulk. Also clip coupons - you can get a lot of two for one deals, and some grocery stores will honor other companies coupons. Some stores will have specials like 10 for $10 - and although buying 10 cans of soup at once may seem like alot for two people, you'll be saving in the long run. You can also try making dishes like lasagne & casseroles that you can freeze the leftovers, and use again later. I find that alot of our leftovers were going to waste. Buy a big bag of chicken breasts, and cook chicken & pasta once a week - you'll notice a difference in a few weeks!

• 8 years ago

I'm on an email recipe list from ALL recipes.com. I get a new recipe everyday in my inbox.

Buy ingredients- protein -beef, pork, chicken, fish find out when your store's meat market marks the meat down. Shop then.

starch - potatoes, rice, noodles buy in bulk. These things keep. I buy jasmine rice at the asian food store. cooks fast, is whole grain even though it's white, and works great.

And veg - buy some things in cans, other things fresh. Watch for sales, there is no reason to ever buy anything not on sale.

keep flour sugar etc on hand for deserts.

Go to the farmer's market toward the end of the time it's open. You can pick up bushes of stuff for a song that farmers don't want to take home. Fresh peaches, apples, etc make for lovely and healthful deserts. I also haunt the markdown rack at our local grocery's produce dept. I've gotten some great deal there!

• 8 years ago

Dry pasta

Rice

A variety of dry beans

Lentils

Eggs

Canned Tomatoes

Broth (the type that comes in packets that you add water to)

Ground beef in bulk and make hamburgers, meat balls and meat loaf, then freeze them.

Whole chicken (cut up and freeze parts)

Fresh onion & garlic, carrots, bagged potatoes and celery

Olive Oil

Get a few loaves of Italian bread and freeze them. You can reheat it as you need it for garlic bread with pasta, as a side for soup, or use them for breadcrumbs in meatballs or meatloaf.

Keeping these staples in your pantry and freezer gives you a couple of different options. You can make a pasta sauce, a pot of chile or a soup.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Miz T
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Lasagna--One recipe makes 12 servings. If you eat 2 servings each at a meal, that's 3 dinners.

The package of lasagna noodles will have the recipe. Generally, the ingredients are 1 pint of ricotta cheese (you can substitute cottage cheese if it's on sale cheaper), 1 pound of grated mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, 2 quart jars of spaghetti sauce (whatever red sauce is cheap this week), and hamburger if you want to use it. Or you can use spinach, broccoli, or mixed summer veggies instead of hamburger. I add basil and rosemary from my herb garden (both are easy to grow).

Chicken and rice/Chicken and pastry--one pound of chicken breasts or 1-1/2 pounds of chicken legs or 2 pounds of chicken sides (whatever's cheap) will make 6 servings of either.

You also need an onion and 2 ribs of celery to cook the chicken. If you use boneless breasts, you'll need a chicken bouillon cube or chicken soup base. Put the chicken in a pot with at least 3" of head room and cover it with water. Dice the onion and add it. Put the celery in whole. Bring just to a fast simmer, turn down the heat to keep it at the simmer level, and cook until done; about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove and discard the celery. If the chicken has bones, the meat should come off the bones easily. Remove and discard the bones.

To make chicken and rice: Measure out half the chicken and 2 cups of the broth. Put 2/3 cup rice, the broth, and the chicken in a saucepan. Add a chicken bouillon cube or the equivalent of chicken soup base. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is done. It should be a bit sloppy.

To make chicken and pastry: Make sure there's at least 4 cups of broth (more is fine) left in the pan; add water if there's not. Put the chicken back in the broth. Add a chicken bouillon cube or the equivalent of chicken soup base. While the broth is heating back up to simmering, make your pastry:

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder (omit if you use self-rising flour)

1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if you use self-rising flour)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3/4 cup water

Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the oil and water and stir into the flour. It should make a stiff dough. Roll out to 1/4" thickness and cut into strips with a knife or pizza cutter. Drop strips, a few at a time, into the simmering broth. They will float. Press down gently with a slotted spoon and add strips until they are all cooked.

Suggestion: Instead of Hamburger Helper and Mac & Cheese, buy macaroni (it's cheaper). One cup of macaroni will make enough mac & cheese for 3 decent servings.

Quick Mac & Cheese

1 cup macaroni

1 2-cup package of shredded Colby-Jack cheese (buy when it's on special cheap)

Boil a quart of water in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook the macaroni until it's done (about 9-10 minutes). Drain it quickly (don't rinse). Dump the cheese into the pot with the drained macaroni, cover it, and put it back on the burner for about 5 minutes.

Chili Mac - serves 4 with some leftover

1 onion, chopped

1 rib celery, sliced

1 small (or 1/2 large) sweet pepper

1 carrot, diced

mushrooms if you have some in the fridge, diced

1 can diced seasoned tomatoes (15 oz)

1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)

whatever herbs and seasonings you like

2 tablespoons oil (canola or extra-virgin olive oil)

1 cup macaroni

water as needed

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the vegetables and saute until soft. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce and the herbs (oregano, cilantro, basil, rosemary, or whatever you have) and heat. Add the macaroni and cook until it's done, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir often, and add water if necessary to prevent sticking.

That'll get you started if you like the cuisine. If you want more, just ask.

• Cainam
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Some easy to do meals can be a variety of casserole (my favorite is sausage casserole) and lasagna... going on the food network website is a great way to get inspired...they got tons of recipes!!

Source(s): foodnetwork.com
  • 8 years ago

home made pizza

chicken/fish salad

lasagne

lamb chops

pasta bake

noodles/stir fry

grill fresh fish and roast lots of veg

grill chicken with veg

panininis

wraps

rice and chicken or rice and veg

try different ethnicity foods like mexican, indian, chineese, thai, moroccan...then add your own twist!!

go on to jaime oliver website or watch 30 minute meals!!

• 8 years ago

try going on google and look for dinner recipes, that what i do, yesterday i made german potatoe salad mmm it didnt last long but it was deelicious,

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.