How well does this describe those that contribute to the R&S section?

Group #1 Viewing the Bible merely as a nice piece of literature

"Or, do you, as do many, read it because of the delight you get from its literary excellence? Its beauty of language is well known to all. Then perhaps you have been pained by the way some of the modern versions read, for they appear to have sacrificed literary beauty for the sake of Biblical scholarship. That is the way a certain professor in an eastern United States university felt about it. He criticized the way Psalm 23 read in the Revised Standard Version because it had lost the stately rhythm it had in the King James Version."

Group #2: Reading the Bible out of duty

"Do you, like others, read the Bible solely as a religious duty, covering so many pages a day or devoting so many minutes daily to reading the Bible? In certain Catholic Bibles readers are encouraged by being told that they will receive so many days of indulgence for reading the Bible fifteen minutes daily. But what profit can there be in all this if little or no thought is given as to the real meaning of what is read?—Acts 8:30."

Group # 3: Reading the Bible to get through it

"Then there are those who read the Bible merely so that they can say that they have read it through. Or they may read it over again and again so as to be able to boast about the number of times they have read the Bible. Reading the Bible through is commendable, and everyone should read it through at least once; but if our motive in reading it is that of having a name for having done so, then we have read it in vain as far as any real lasting benefit is concerned. We are in the class of those who pray or give gifts in public to be seen of men.—Matt. 6:1-5."

Group # 4: Trinitarians

"Typical are the trinitarians, who, finding no mention or explanation of their favorite teaching, cite texts that mention the Father, the Son and the holy spirit to prove that these three are coequal in power, glory, substance and eternity, when such texts prove no such thing. (See Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14.) This also is futile Bible reading, for how can one learn from the Bible when he has preconceived notions and merely uses it to prove his own ideas. Such people read “to teach the Book instead of to be taught.”

Group #5: Skeptics, Atheists, Deists

"Among other Bible readers that might be mentioned are the foes of the Bible, those who approach it with a critical eye, as often do the agnostic, the skeptic, the infidel, the atheist and the deist, to mention a few. While purporting to have an objective attitude toward the Bible, more often than not they read for the purpose of finding fault with it, scanning its pages with eagle eye to find instances in which the Bible appears to contradict itself, science or secular history. Thus these hope to discredit the Bible in the eyes of others. The extremes to which these go prove that they are anything but what they make their boast to be—objective. However, Bible scholarship, science and archaeology more and more bring forth evidence refuting all such attacks. Obviously, all such Bible reading is futile."

* Quoted sections are from Dec. 15th 1961 Watchtower

I read the Bible because its tells me how to walk with Jesus!

I read the Bible because it teaches me how to equip myself to do battle with Satan!

I read the Bible because by knowing the Truth i can see all the false doctrines taught by the catholics and other false christians!

• Erika

Irresponsible irrational frustrating ignorant smart immature impatient exceptional intriguing primary icky incomprehensible Inspirational. Indescribable. Intangible. Independent Influential Imperfect Idiotic incompetent thoughtless insincere impulsive insane illiterate spectacular extreme impossible to resist indestructible irreverent Hope I helped!!

Jehovah's witness does not even know that Jesus is the Son of God so what they think of others reading the Bible is because they tell their followers to only believe their interpretation of the Bible

and in fact they tell them to not read the Bible,they are a false religion and if followed will lead straight to Hell.

Read the bible so you will know the truth yourself it is Gods Holy Word and meant to be read,understood and obeyed.

I recommend the Expositors Study Bible it is based on the King James Version very easy to understand and a great blessing,also in Spanish!

go to www.jsm.org they are there check out the programs and music:)

Asa a matter of fact the program Frances and Friends did a program exposing the true beliefs of that religion and several others besides them you can go to the archives and watch them there also.

Source(s): experience

The descriptions are obviously slanted from the Jehovah Witness dogmatic outlook.

I think there is a very wide outlook on why people read the Bible and your list just scratches the surface in its very slanted way.

I read the Bible because I want to know what God is trying to tell me

• There is no literary excellence in the bible, it was corrupted by the Catholic church and Emperor Constantine when it had any value at all. I am a Buddhist so your question doesn't concern me.

And then you have Apostates and only reason to be on here is to slander ,ridicule and attempt to persuade true worshipers to worshiping Satan a they are doing.

How about the "Never actually read the Bible, but that doesn't stop me quote-mining from it because my pastor told me everything I need to know"....

• Evan

How could any individual in this room possibly know?

I belong in group#6. - too lazy to read all that.