Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 9 years ago

Should you show excerpts or full posts on your blog's homepage?

I'm an independent Science Fiction author who has recently set up a blog to promote myself and my work. I'm going to be talking about writing, publishing but mostly science fiction. The goal is to draw in traffic to my blog, build up a bit of an audience and hopefully convert them into book sales.

Here's my concern. I like my blog's theme, particularly how it shows excerpts on the homepage with a featured picture. But I'm worried that this stops people from actually reading my content, since they have to click through to read and then click back to read more posts. Is it better to have the full posts displayed so people can just read through? I've also heard that excerpts is better for google rankings, as it flags up less as duplicate content, but is this really an advantage if nobody is reading?

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of each option?

Personally, I support a list of posts with excerpts. If I'm new to you and never read your work but somehow found your blog, I can quickly scan your posts and find one that interests me enough to click. As opposed to being forced to view your latest post which may not interest me at all.

I'm a new blogger as well and your question definitely has me thinking about the layout of my blog too. Thanks for planting the seed! Good luck to you!