promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses please, explain to me this spirit resurection when Jesus said?

18Therefore, in answer, the Jews said to him: “What sign have you to show us, since you are doing these things?” 19In answer Jesus said to them: “Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” 20Therefore the Jews said: “This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?” 21But he was talking about the temple of his body.

This is out of your own NWT Jesus specifically says He is going to raise His BODY,

Think about this, and think about the standard Watchtower answers, like

flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, that is true, what that passage is saying is that the WORKS of the flesh cannot inherit the kingdom, that you need to be born again John 3:3 born of the spirit and washed in the blood of the lamb that is how you receive eternal life.

and the other Watchtower argument: He was raised a life- giving spirit, so read this carefully, He was raise a LIFE, and He is the giver of the spirit. that's what this text is saying. also if you read the passages before this you can see the apostle Paul makes very clear he is speaking of a bodily resurection.

again this is from your NWT

42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it is raised up in incorruption. 43It is sown in dishonor, it is raised up in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised up in power. 44It is sown a physical body, it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

The word "temple," or "dwelling," was not unfrequently used by the Jews to denote the "body" as being the residence of the spirit, 2 Cor 5:1. Christians are not unfrequently called the temple of God, as being those in whom the Holy Spirit dwells on earth, 1 Cor 3:16-17; 6:19; 2 Cor 6:16. Our Saviour called his body a temple in accordance with the common use of language, and more particularly because "in him the fullness of the Godhead dwelt bodily," Col 2:9. The temple at Jerusalem was the appropriate dwelling-place of God. His visible presence was there especially manifested, 2 Chron 36:15; Ps 76:2. As the Lord Jesus was divine-as the fullness of the Godhead dwelt in him so his body might be called a "temple."

(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003, 2005, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Biblical Evidence for Christ's Physical Resurrection:

The Bible is clear that when Jesus rose from the dead it was His actual body that rose, not some spirit creature: Jesus Himself spoke of the resurrection of His own body on numerous occasions:

Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews therefore said, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?" But He was speaking of the temple of His body. When therefore He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture, and the word which Jesus had spoken." (John 2:19-22 emphasis added).

"And while they were telling these things, He Himself stood in their midst. But they were startled and frightened and thought they were seeing a spirit. And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." (Luke 24: 36-39)

"Then He said to Thomas, reach here your finger, and see my hands; and reach here your hand, and out it into my side; and be not unbelieving, but believing." (John 20:27)

The apostles recognized that it was Jesus' actual body that was raised up:

"Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazerene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders...you nailed to a cross...and God raised Him up again...This Jesus God raised up again...Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ - this Jesus who you crucified." (Acts 2:22, 24, 32, 36)

"The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus, the one who you delivered up, and disowned before Pilate, when he had decided to release Him. But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses." (Acts 3:13-15 emphasis added)

"because He [God] has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men, by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:31 emphasis added)

"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." (1 Tim. 2:5 emphasis added)

Angels recognized that it was Jesus Himself who was raised, and not some spirit creature similar to themselves:

"And he [the angel] said to them [the disciples], "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazerene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him." (Mark 16:6, emphasis added)

Something that every Jehovah's Witness should realize is that through their insistence in denying the bodily resurrection of Jesus, they are denying the very core message of the Gospel and the salvation specifically spoken of in the book of Romans:

"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Rom. 10:9)

Consequently, if Jehovah's Witnesses insist that Jesus was not raised from the dead, then it follows that, according to the above verse, they cannot possibly be saved.

Jehovah's Witnesses who will you believe? - the Watchtower, and its views expressed in its literature, or God, and what He Himself says in His Word about the resurrection of His Son? We cannot afford to be wrong on this vital doctrine, it is central to the Gospel message and our eternal destinies depend on it.

Source(s): My Notes PC Bible 5 The Bible
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • patti
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

His flesh used to be a barrier that avoided access to the heavenly realm. Jesus’ “flesh” is spoken of at Hebrews 10:20 as being represented through the “curtain” that separated the Holy from the most Holy in the tabernacle. Before he would enter heaven, the true “Most Holy,” Jesus had to stop his fleshly existence and obtain spirit nature. His body of flesh would were a barrier to his going beyond the “curtain” as a spirit character. Query: If Jesus Christ was once resurrected as a spirit, how can Jehovah's Witnesses say they're going to be resurrected bodily? So, what did Jesus imply when he stated: "destroy this temple and in three days i will elevate it up… He was talking about the temple of his body." What temple? What physique? “Do you no longer be aware of that you people are God’s temple, and that the spirit of God dwells in you? If any individual destroys the temple of God, God will damage him; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you folks are.”

• I Try
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

They want to tell you that Christ that lived in heaven for ever before he came to earth as flesh need to inherit heaven before he can return??????

First up if this was a literal meaning we will need to wait for God to die before anyone can inherit the Kingdom of God!!

There are at least 4 other NT verses in the NWT that use the same three words "in the spirit" all translated from the same Greek words and all these are about living men, mainly Paul. I want to know how when it is about Christ it means, "As a Spirit" but about Paul, even translated the same , it now means he is following the spirit of God.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Greetings,

One major error leading to an incorrect understanding of Scripture is failing to take into consideration figurative or symbolic language. This is many times a purposeful tactic of those who want to promote their own theology when they recognize that there is no real Scriptural evidence for their belief.

This verse is often used by some to say that Jesus was resurrected with his fleshly body.

What such individuals fail to keep in mind is that Jesus here used the term "temple" figuratively, with reference to his body so an accurate interpretation must recognize the non-literal aspect to Christ's statements.

Any interpretation that claims that Christ's literal physical body was resurrected must ignore the context of Scripture and contradict EVERY explicit statement in the Bible regarding Christ's heavenly body.

The figurative language here (verse 21) makes it clear that it was not his fleshly literal body that was raised up but "the temple of his body." The parallel accounts make clear that Jesus was not talking about resurrecting his *fleshly* body here but was indicating that he would be resurrected with a *spirit* body. Mr 14:58 says: "We heard him say, I will destroy THIS TEMPLE THAT IS MADE WITH HANDS, and within three days I will build ANOTHER MADE WITHOUT HANDS." So Mark adds the details contrasting Christ's body "made with hands" with the one that would be “made without hands."

Paul used this same terminology regarding the resurrected bodies of Christians (2Cor.5:1,2). He said that their "earthly

house" (their present physical body) would be "destroyed" and they would a "heavenly one" "not made with hands" (1Co 15:50; Heb 9:11).

The fact is that EVERY explicit Scripture absolutely confirms that Christ has an invisible spirit body rather than a physical one:

Jesus was "put to death in the flesh, but "made" alive in the spirit." (1Pet 3:18, NRSV, NASV, ACV, WEB, NWT).

1.) 1 Cor. 15:45: "[Jesus Christ] became a life-giving spirit." (1Cor.15:35- 49; Cf. 2 Cor.5:1-4, 2Pet.1:13-14).

2.) 1 Cor. 15:50 "flesh and blood cannot inherit God's kingdom (Cf. Ac.13:34).

(This verse does NOT say “the WORKS of the flesh...,” it states that “flesh and blood”–the human, corruptible fleshly body cannot gain the spirit realm!)

3.) Heb. 1:3 Jesus is now "the exact representation of [God's] very being." God is a Spirit and has never been flesh.

4.) The Bible says that Christ returns in glory with all the angels under him, and that he 'sits down on his glorious throne.' (Matt.25:31) If Jesus were flesh, he would be lower in station than the angels (Heb.2:7-9, Phil.2:7-10). He will never be flesh again.

So, the scriptures clearly state that Jesus and the saints will have "spirit" bodies like the angels. That a fleshly body cannot be in heaven. That Jesus cannot be seen. They consistently and explicitly contrast a body of flesh and a heavenly spirit body. At his resurrection from the dead, Jesus was brought forth with a spirit body.

Conversely there is no explicit Scripture that states he has a body of flesh. The only way we could say this is if we rip figurative language out of context and twist it to agree with our personal theology.

"Corporeal visibility to men in the present life is a dream, altogether unsanctioned in the New Testament, and calculated from age to age to involve feeble believers in disappointment."— Glasgow; The Apocalypse, Translated and Expounded, p. 126. Edinburgh, 1872.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I hope I am understanding your question.I suppose you are interested in knowing if Jesus was resurrected with a spiritual body or a physical one.According to 1 Pet.3:18 and 1 Cor 15:45 Jesus was raised with a spiritual body since blood and flesh cannot exist in heaven with a fleshly one.If you have any more questions on this subject you can ask any of Jehovah's Witnesses for a free home bible study in your area.

• 8 years ago

So before l proceed, are you saying that Flesh can enter heaven? That in heaven as we speak, Jesus bears the scars of his wounds in his side and hands.. is that your thinking...." messenger?"

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The jehovah cult utilizes classic mind control techniques to control its adherents. The cult begins by welcoming the target into the cult. It's all smiles and hugs at fist. The cult then forbids the target to associate with anyone that is not also a cult member, including family members. Once the cult has established itself as the target's only support network, the cult threatens expulsion from the group (the jehovah cult calls this disfellowshipping) if you disobey your cult handlers in any way.

• 8 years ago

We must harmonize Jesus’ words with many other scriptures, which clearly show that God and Christ are separate persons and not equal and not tied together, along with the holy spirit, to form one god. Numerous texts show that Jesus did not raise himself from the dead, but that he was resurrected by Jehovah God his Father. (Rom. 8:11; 1 Cor. 15:15; Eph. 1:20) So how may we logically view John 2:19?

The context must be examined. Verses 13 to 18 show that Jesus had cleansed the literal temple at Jerusalem, routing from it those who were making it a place of merchandise, and as a result had been confronted with this question from the Jews: “What sign have you to show us, since you are doing these things?” Then in the 19th verse Jesus told them the sign, which is the basis of our question. Verses 20-22 continue: “Therefore the Jews said: ‘This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was talking about the temple of his body. When, though, he was raised up from the dead, his disciples called to mind that he used to say this.”—NW.

This setting shows that Jesus was not talking about his physical body, but “he was talking about the temple of his body”. The temple in Jerusalem that Jesus cleansed represented not Jesus alone but also the body-members over which he is head. Just as the literal temple was not made up of one stone but many, so “the temple of his body” consists of many living stones, with Jesus as the foundation cornerstone: “You yourselves also as living stones are being built up a spiritual house for the purpose of a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (1 Pet. 2:4-7, NW) After the Jewish religionists rejected Christ the living stone and broke him down by death on the torture stake, on the third day thereafter Jehovah God raised him up to become the chief cornerstone of the temple of living stones then under preparation. He immediately appeared to his disciples and lifted them up out of their despondency, built them up spiritually so that they could “offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God”. That this building of “the temple of his body” started then and continued through the years that followed is shown by Peter’s use of the present tense when years afterward he said Christ’s followers “are being built up a spiritual house”.

John 3:3 - One of the apostles later wrote: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” (1 Peter 1:3, 4, Revised Standard Version; John 1:12, 13) Clearly, the rebirth that Jesus referred to was a spiritual experience that would occur while his followers were still alive, not a future reincarnation.

Additionally, One night, after Passover 30 C.E., a Jewish ruler named Nicodemus came to Jesus. The account in John 3:3-5 reads: “Jesus said to him: ‘Most truly I say to you, Unless anyone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.’ Nicodemus said to him: ‘How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter into the womb of his mother a second time and be born, can he?’ Jesus answered: ‘Most truly I say to you, Unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.’”

On the basis of this account many churchgoers feel that if one is to obtain salvation he must be “born again,” he must be “born from water and spirit.” They believe that the way one gets everlasting life is by going to heaven. In this they are partly right. It is true that those who will, as spirit creatures, be part of God’s kingdom will live forever. But Jehovah makes it plain in his Word that the majority of humans gaining eternal life and happiness will live right here on earth. (Ps. 37:29) Such persons do not need to be “born again.” Why not?

God’s original purpose for mankind was to live forever in paradise on earth. None of his faithful servants before the time of Jesus’ earthly ministry had hope of going to heaven, nor did they go there upon death. For instance, concerning King David the apostle Peter said: “Actually David did not ascend to the heavens.” (Acts 2:34) That was so even though he had God’s spirit on him. David said: “The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me.”—2 Sam. 23:2.

Source(s): God's Word Faithful and True
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.