debs7405 asked in SportsOlympics · 8 years ago

If there are 196 countries in the world?

how come there are 204 countries taking part in the olympics.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

The figure 196 = the 193 UN members plus Vatican City, Kosovo, and Taiwan. Apparently. Neither of the first two have NOCs. Taiwan are excluded from the UN because the USA and China screwed them over.

The following 11 countries (or 'countries') which don't appear in the 196 but have National Olympic Committees are...

Palestine

US territories: American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands

British territories: Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands

Dutch territory: Aruba

NZ territory: Cook Islands

Chineses territory: Hong Kong

(Note I use the word 'territory' to avoid writing the sometimes very lengthy official statuses/titles)

Re the three Netherlands Antilles (NA) and single South Sudanese athletes who are competing under the Independent flag: the NA sort of voted itself out of existence a few years ago, and in future their athletes can chose to compete for the Netherlands or for Aruba. South Sudan is a UN member state but hasn't got round to forming a NOC yet.

So...

192x UN members (193 less South Sudan)

1x Taiwan (or Chinese Taipei)

11x non-UN NOCs

=204

If you're counting nationalities you can add the Netherlands Antilles, bringing it up to 205.

ALL of whom, I believe, are competing in London.

Source(s): A mishmash of googling, and quite possibly a little bit wrong in places :-)
  • 8 years ago

Their are countries belonging to larger nations, Territories and colonies that while are countries usually are not counted as individual countries. Basically they mainly only count the countries of the united nations which I believe is about 193 countries. Bottom line is that there are more than 196 countries and there is a lot of controversy over this. For example the United

States doesn't even Recognise Tiwain as an official independent country.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

...Finland: Hanoi Rocks I did not be aware of that was once a country. :/. Is it small adequate that i will invade without much predicament, or..? 1. Definite, why not. 2. Nothing ever on the planet at any place might be as good as that. I am not trying in view that there isn't a approach i can win and perhaps i don't even wish to win. When planning to invade a nation, it is quality to hold a low profile, which is mostly directly in clash with winning. Good, so is asserting plans for invasion..I', simply gonna go now.

• 8 years ago

There are 196 countries in the world but only 193 are participating (Kosovo, South Sudan and Vatican City aren't). The remaining 11 'countries' are territories/other entities that have been permitted to participate.

If you check out the link below, it explains things better than I can.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • James
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

There are a number of autonomous territories which are not countries, like Bermuda, Hong Kong, Puerto Rico, and American Samoa that have their own National Olympic Committee and compete separately from the nation of which they are citizens/subjects.

• 8 years ago

Trip Advisor lists 238 countries

• 8 years ago

i guess there are 196 independent countries in this world !!

• 8 years ago

their is many smaller countries that arenot that reconized there is over 230 countries

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.