Why don't some mothers tell their daughters about periods?

I have seen several questions from girls, who want to know how to ask their mother's about 1st bras, buying sanitary protection etc. Some of these girls have already had a period, and are scared to tell their mother. I can understand that girls might be embarrassed about the subject. I know when I was a... show more I have seen several questions from girls, who want to know how to ask their mother's about 1st bras, buying sanitary protection etc. Some of these girls have already had a period, and are scared to tell their mother.
I can understand that girls might be embarrassed about the subject. I know when I was a pre-teen, I would not have talked about it to friends, even if my mum hadn't said not to. Some might say she shouldn't have told me that - but she did it to protect me from bullying. I was still at primary school and in those days the girls' toilets did not have bins.
But at least I had no hesitation about telling mum when I started, as she told me I would, and what I would have to do to keep clean. She had been in her late teens when she started, but was observant enough to notice that I matured at a younger age.
--------------------------------
A friend of mine was not so lucky. At about age 10 she noticed a pack of pads in the bathroom . When she asked what they were, her Mum said 'I'll tell you later." 'Later', was a few years later was when my terrified friend thought she had a serious injury that caused internal bleeding!
--------------------------------------...
MOTHERS! The majority of you expect your offspring to live past childhood don't you? For girls this will mean breast development and getting periods! Why do some of you not notice your daughters are approaching adolescence, and prepare them? When a little girl plays dress up and tries your bra on, tell them 'When you think you are big enough for your own bra let me know." By the time they get their first bra, they should know about periods.
Do some mothers feel it is a rite of passage, for their daughters to 'pluck up courage' to tell mum they have started?
Update: Jeanne - I agree some mothers might be embarrassed, but they can get a book to tell their daughter to read, then tell them where they keep the pads and to be prepared.
Update 2: Sharkey - Poor you ;( I thought ten-and-a-half was bad enough!
Update 3: Stephanie May - My mother had to work, because of my dad's poor health. I had to work too, but we managed. In the past a lot of women did not work until their youngest child was at secondary school, but still kept their daughters in the dark. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will wait a few days to see... show more Stephanie May - My mother had to work, because of my dad's poor health. I had to work too, but we managed. In the past a lot of women did not work until their youngest child was at secondary school, but still kept their daughters in the dark.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will wait a few days to see if I gt more posts.