How do you cut one inch thick slate tiles?

I have random sized slate pavers that were laid in sand for a patio. I want to cut them to fit a bathroom. Anybody know how to cut those things in a straight line?

• rob s

You do indeed need a wet saw. Not just a cheapo either. For that thick a tile you need at least a 10" saw. This means the blade is 10" and the motor that comes with this size wet saw is at least a 3/4hp. One that is 1 hp or bigger is better.

All saws this size comes with a sliding tray to guide your tile through straight. Your best to rent one unless your doing a lot of tiling since they start in price at 6/700$ and go up from there.

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there. GL

Source(s): 20 years in flooring as a store owner/installer

You need to rent or buy a "wet saw" A.K.A. tile cutter. It's a saw with a special blade and you add water. The water keeps the blade from getting to hot. It takes some skill and cutting a straight line is not easy. If you have a steady hand you can do it. Just make a straight line with a pencil and run the slate through holding it steady and moving it slow. You may just have to have someone experienced cut them, but a wet saw is your best bet.

Source(s): my unrelated t shirt store, click only if you want to see great t shirts! http://www.cafepress.com/paulferland
  • ?

A wet saw. You can rent them for cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc38p/h_d2/Na...

If you plan to install a lot of tiles in your house, you can buy a decent homeowner's grade inexpensively.

A chipping hammer and cold chisel will not give you clean breaks in slate. But you already know that from the patio install.

Grinder will work 6" . But u can buy slate cheap so i don't see y u would