Why does colored or rusty water come out of my faucets sometimes?

I think my house was built in the 1940's. I am not sure what kind of pipes it has in it. One can never tell when the stuff is going to come out. Most of the time it is clear.

• Tony

Somewhere you have galvanized pipes. The problem can be made worse if someone replaced the galvanized with copper but still used galvanized connectors instead of using brass. That's a big mistake home plumbers make all the time. The result is that if you don't run the water for a while then turn it on you get rusty water for a moment. It's not a big problem but it will eventually begin to leak. Galvanized iron pipe and Copper cause ionization to occur which leads to rust. The simple solution is to inspect to see if you have galvanized pipes coming out through the wall. If so, and you know (from inside the basement or from under the crawl space) you have copper then the simple solution is to turn the water off, using a pipe wrench loosen the galvanized pipe, take it to the local hardware store and find the exact size replacement but use brass, not galvanized or black pipes. That will solve your problem for good.

Ava g'day mate.

")

ALSO: If the person at the local hardware store knows what they are doing they will recommend you use teflon tape on the pipe joint. That's a good idea. But if you were going to stop at Home Depot - no telling WHAT they might leave out as helpful advice. I've noticed they do that all the time with my mother-in-law. That's why I don't bother shopping there.

"/

Source(s): Just an old retired dog who knows a few tricks.
  • trumm

Rusty Water From Faucet

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): colored rusty water faucets sometimes: https://tr.im/clby5

That's happened to me. It's just iron. The pipes are probably old, and when the iron builds up some, it comes out. Does this happen early in the morning or after you haven't ran water in a while? If that's so, then it's just iron. No need to worry unless it's ALWAYS red.

Source(s): Happened to my home 3 times

Put a water filter in your line it's probably ok but who wants brown or any other color in their water?

Source(s): Had the same paoblem my water never was as good as it is now.

obviously some iron pipes somewhere, as the plastic and copper pipes do not rust. but all it takes is a short amount of the iron pipe to allow rust. it may even be just before entering your house.