Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 8 years ago

My 18 Month Old son hates having a bath any tips or advice?

My 18 month old son hates bath time he screams and its a real battle to try and bath him.

I have tried everything to try and make this task easier from distraction techniques even bathing with him but to no avail does anyone have any tips or advice??

Favorite Answer

lol people have good suggestions, but that's just it. they don't work. lol. Give him his own shampoo would work if you cold get him to stop panicking, lol. Been there!

well, I tried it all too and my daughter went through a phase that lasted a year, from about that age. Nothing could calm her down (and please trust me when I say tearless shampoos are not all tearless. When in the eyes bad enough they can be irritating. we discovered that the hard way). My advice is this: switch to the kitchen sink if you can, make it quick and limit the number of hair washing you do a week down to 1, unless he really needs it. get him to hold a cloth over his eyes for rinsing (or you do for him).

what got my daughter to stop her fear was actually our new baby. When the baby started having sink baths at around age 5 months or so my daughter saw how much the baby loved it and started calming down herself. that's actually how we graduated her into a big tub, too. She was terrified of the water draining out so we put the baby in, (who loved it) and she was so jeallous the baby was playing in bubbles that she leaped in herself! lol

It was be one of those things "this too shall pass" at some point! hand in there. Like I said, ours was a full on year!

Thats tough. My daughter is kind of going through that (she's 21 months)and my son has had his little phases.

One thing to do if all else fails is let them stand outside the tub and do a sponge bath. Last night I just kept my daughter in long enough to get her body and hair clean.

My son went thru a funny phase when his sister was born where he wanted a bath in the plastic baby tub-he called it a "boat"-we just went with it for a while, he still got clean and no harm done. If you still have a smaller tub, maybe try that-call it a boat and see if he likes it?

My son loves tub crayons and markers, maybe draw his favorite characters-I can recall drawing Thomas the Tankine Engine all over the walls. Another thing both kids love is playing with shaving cream-I let them use the cheap Barbasol stuff. One weird advantage of it is that it actually gets out some stuff soap can't-my daughter loves eating blueberries and it gets the purple stains from underneath her nails. Try and find something fun(if you haven;t already). You can get little bubble machines at Target or WalMart that fit in the tub-perhaps that could be a fun distraction.

Finally, it may be a lazy parenting move, but as I said my girl is going through a bath averse phase. If she plays in the kiddie pool with her brother, I'll get some soap and wash her in there-its the same water we would use in the tub, lol!

Its hard because babies have to be bathed a lot. I am no expert,but I presume you check the water is just the right tempreture and the room is warm? I am 67 and I was a baby at the end of the 1940s when any kind of heating was unknown and the bathroom was freezing.It was a torture chamber to me,especially getting out of the warm water. I used to scream the house down.

Many mothers and fathers make the mistake of thinking their sense of a temperature is the same as a young child. As we age we are less sensitive to temperature change. We tend to prefer hotter water as you get older. . Make sure the Bath water is not too cold or more importantly too hot. Younger children , especially a baby's soft skin is sensitive to hot water Try to make the water around 95-92 Degrees. At this temperature the water will feel slightly warmer than the air . This may seem too cold for a bath for you, but its just right for babies. It is close to body temperature which is what they experienced in the womb. Or cradled in a blanket in your arms.

Be careful as just slight differences in water temperature have a big effect.

For Example: most Hot Tubs or Jacuzzis Ideal temp is around 101-102 degrees at 105 it can start to hurt but just 97 degrees can seem not warm enough.

Give him a 'Magic Bath'

Just add some glitter, some water colouring and bubbles.

Give the kid a straw and they can blow bubbles in the water.

Try it out with them just in a bucket or the sink first, get them to like it.

Then move it to the bath.

Alternatively,

Just ignore it.

He has to have a bath, so screaming or not he has to be clean

• Eric

Make sure you are using baby shampoo so he doesn't hurt his eyes. That's usually the biggest fear.

I use this shampoo and I'm an adult... It makes your hair softer than anything else and is just made out of harmless ingredients like oat meal.

don't ask how i know i was watching super nanny the other day and it was the subject, make it more fun for him like get shampoo that doesn'tt sting his eyes and let him apply it himself onto his hair. get toys for when hes in the bath like fishing magnet fish, boats etc. and don't force him to but persuade him.

Source(s): tv