Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 8 years ago

Have words lost their meaning?

people say "I love you", "I miss you", "I care about you" so easily these days.. but then, they don't act upon it.. have words lost their meaning in this day and age?

• Favourite answer

Your question is very deep. When I was younger, words had a lot of meaning. Today, as I get older, I realize words only have the meaning that people want to give them, when and if they want to. Today they may say they love you and change tomorrow. It applies to me too. That's why I seldom tell anyone I love them. Even your own siblings and children. They love you as long as you are worthy. If there is money involved, siblings will stab you in the back as if you never knew them. If you do not educate your children right, they will only love you if you give them what they want. So love and words are very complicated. Don't kid yourself; know your words in context, listen carefully, you will hear the tones.

Just think about it for a second. Sounds make letters, letters make words, words make sentences and supposedly they hold meaning and can control our actions and emotions. A misunderstood sentence can cause misunderstood actions and emotions, That means that sounds that come out of our mouth can control how another feels while even that meaning can be misunderstood and mean something else. There was never any real truth in words, hence the reason people ask so many questions because everyone has a different answer. For all we know, we know nothing. Words lost their meaning the same time they they couldn't find the truth. Judge by actions, only then will you know the real truth.

I don't believe so. The weight of these words has never been lost on me. Just because I can say it easily does not mean that the sentiment itself is missing when spoken. It all depends on the meaning YOU give to it. Must be judged on an individual basis.

its not that they lost meaning its just an over use of words that causes to loose its effect on the sentence it is enscribed in if i keep on saying a bad word for instance so much people get used to it adapt and dont take the word so harshly but then again if you were to add emotion to the word like if you say **** regularly and then one day you say **** angrily people will know the difference rather than think that youre day is going swell and words sometime lose there touch like the word epic and other words thats the reason for 2 or more defintions in dictionaries over time peole use words in different ways its not so much the weight of the word its how people use for young people saying bad words like **** are becoming regualr words used everyday and used commonly but if you were to be screaming angrilly **** you people can stess and see the difference we put meaning behind words that is late put down in history like gay or queer it used to mean happy and odd now its a deragatory word used against homosexuals but words that are kind are used blindly but then again its still true just at the moment enfesis wasnt put much on it

Act upon it how so?

Some people only like to say it once and if it has not been received well on the other end, then there's nothing more they can do.

One word that has lost its meaning is GREAT. How was the movie? "Oh, it was great." [Probably good, but NOT great.] "I have a great script I wrote." Uh, NO; it is NOT great. Craigslist posting: "We have a great script, great cast and great crew. This is going to be a great film. Want to be a part of it?" Of course, they are NOT paying anyone, and the film will NEVER be great. And let's not forget the car dealer ads: "Great deals now, and great selection. We have a great service department, too." Uggg!

I will never go to that dealership, as they are liars. I would not trust them at all.

My last vacation was enjoyable, and I'm glad I went. Was it great? No. ;-)

Some DO achieve greatness and deserve the title. Lincoln was a great president. Mozart was a great composer. Stephen Hawking is a great thinker. "Citizen Kane" WAS a great movie.

Words in themselves have no meaning to lose, its the meaning and the value we put behind them, so have words lost their meaning? No. Has society lost its sincerity? On a large scale yes.

in terms of the actual meaning of the words, no they haven't, their meanings are still valid but the emotion behind them have been lost because of how easy one can put text on a page (or screen), for instance, one person texts "i love you" on Valentines day with their phone, another sends a hand made card saying "i love you" with Sakura Petals in the envelope

both have the same meaning but only the second only sends the emotion

I think so to. For example a lot of people swear these days in public. Years ago you would never even think of doing that. Also I agree people say I love you but then they might break up later on.

Furthermore, to carry the status of the word 'friend' used to mean something special...something you earned through trust and dedication. However, we now hand it out like candy to (possibly creepy, untrustworthy) strangers we don't even know (or might even hate) on facebook!

What's wrong with the world?!