Why do Christians pray?

More specifically, why do Christians pray to God for God to do something for them, like give them something or "heal" someone?

It is my understanding that according to Christians, everything happens because God wanted it to. God works in mysterious ways and if you don't have something or if someone gets sick, it's because that's what God wanted.

So if you pray for something of material or if you pray for the better health of someone, wouldn't you basically be disagreeing with God's plan? God wanted you not to have that item or he wanted that person to be sick, and praying isn't going to change that.

Please help me understand this concept if I'm wrong.

Favorite Answer

BECAUSE PRAYER IS POWERFUL!!!!! YOU SHOULD TRY IT!!!!

ANYTHING YOU PRAY FOR, YOU MUST PRAY FOR IT IN JESUS' NAME!!

JESUS IS THE ONLY MEDIUM BETWEEN OURSELVES AND GOD!!!

ANYTHING U NEED, JUST ASK IN HIS(JESUS) NAME!!!! U JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE AND HAVE FAITH!!!!

GOD REALLY DOES ANSWER PRAYERS!!!

Source(s): EXPERIENCE

Gives them the sense that they are doing something. When a relative is ill, they are usually quite helpless. It's on the doctors to actually do work but so they don't feel helpless they pray. Makes them feel better despite doing nothing for anyone else.

For others it's like making a wish with more strict formatting.

Prayer is us connecting to and communicating with God. Part of prayer indeed can be about personal or others' needs. God does indeed miraculously heal people according to His will and timing.

The key is to always pray according to God's will. If it's within His will for healing to take place or for someone to be blessed with something, that's the idea. In no way does that interfere with God's plan, which is connected to His will.

Pray is talking to God about your worries, troubles, happiness and joys.

God is a Father to all of us, don't you talk to your own family about these things?

Sometimes we have to learn to accept the things we do not understand.

We are God's adopted sons and daughters communication is key to faith.

The Our Father is pretty specific:

Our Father, who art in Heaven hallowed be Thy Name,

Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we

forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen

• AliM

I am one of Jehovah Witness. As Jehovah Witnesses we pray to Jehovah God because we want to draw closer to Him. Have a close bond, a relationship with God. The Son of God Jesus Christ died for our sins. We pray to Jehovah God for forgiveness of our sins. We go to Jehovah God for any and everything. Really expressing ourselves to Jehovah. The Bible does says that Jehovah God is the "Hearer of prayer." And He wants us to express ourselves to Him because He truly cares for us.

"O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come."-Psalm 65:2

"while YOU throw all YOUR anxiety upon him, because he cares for YOU."-1 Peter 5:7

Jehovah God does not inflict pain and suffering on people because He wants to. The Bible states that "unforeseen occurrence" befall us. We can all get sick at any time because were imperfect. Not because God made us get sick. Jehovah God does not work that way as the Bible shows us from reading and doing thorough research. Jehovah God is loving.

Source(s): NWT (one of Jehovah Witnesses)

Praying means talking to someone in Heaven. God, saints and angels. I pray to God, saying "Dear Lord" most times. I pray to Him to thank Him for things I have. I pray to Him to ask for good results when I have surgery or such. I pray to Him to ask Him for things for other people.

We need guidance from the Holy Spirit who Jesus sent to us after he went back to Heaven. Try not to confuse yourself. Read the book of John.

It gets them out of actually having to do anything useful.

Because we want to and the bible says to.

TO be accounted for.