Why do Christians pray?

More specifically, why do Christians pray to God for God to do something for them, like give them something or "heal" someone? It is my understanding that according to Christians, everything happens because God wanted it to. God works in mysterious ways and if you don't have something or if someone... show more More specifically, why do Christians pray to God for God to do something for them, like give them something or "heal" someone?

It is my understanding that according to Christians, everything happens because God wanted it to. God works in mysterious ways and if you don't have something or if someone gets sick, it's because that's what God wanted.

So if you pray for something of material or if you pray for the better health of someone, wouldn't you basically be disagreeing with God's plan? God wanted you not to have that item or he wanted that person to be sick, and praying isn't going to change that.

Please help me understand this concept if I'm wrong.