How do YOU come up with fantasy names?

For anyone who writes fantasy stories, how do you come up with your character names? And names for your places(towns, cities, worlds, etc)?

Since I'm a Latin nerd, I like to look up the Latin words for characteristics of the people or places I'm naming. Sometimes I use the actual word and sometimes a variation.

For character names, I like to either

a) Take any random word and twist the letters around. I have a character named Marth, which came from the word "marsh". This is easy enough ^_^

b) Hit random letters on the keyboard (well, not RANDOM, but you know what I mean) and play around with what comes out.

With other names, I sometimes base them off of real places. For example, there's a place near my hometown called Renmark, and by dropping one letter you get a new name, Enmark, which sounds realistic enough.

I write a lot of high fantasy set in a medieval or pre-modern type setting, I just don't use modern names.

My current names for some of my projects(disclaimer: all of them were split second decisions and I moved on):

Story 1

Eve (Genevieve)- heroine

Roman- her lover

Saber- A Grigorian.

Marta- Saber's human wife.

Uther- Human king, Eve's father

Nal- Grigorian rebel leader.

Story 2

Aria- runaway princess

Maxim- the archer

Story 3

Ronwen- Fae/Sidhe princess

Conn- Fae/Sidhe Prince

Caratacus- (I did looked up Celtic names for this characters name because I needed something culturally specific) Shadow Prince

For places I look around the room and merge words from movies and book titles. Seriously. I believe Baum came up with 'OZ' that way: from his file cabinet O-Z.

• maria

I used to pick a random word and rearrange its letters or add extra ones. Like for a example, "Dragon" -- Dargon -- Ardogan -- Gardonia -- Argenin -- Nobody would suspect your inspiration was "Dragon" : )

Easy go on fantisy name jumbler search it first and there you go