I like turtles asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

My parents are getting rid of my dog, what can I do?

A few months ago my alsation of fourteen years died and I was so cut up about it I spent days crying and I was so depressed, after a month we came out of church and I found a small filthy, abandoned shih tzu, I usually hate small dogs but this one was so special and it fell in love with me right away and she kept following me and barking for me and I went to pick her up and she got so attached and so did I, I took her home and my parents said I could keep her.

I named her Blondie and she is so cute and lovely, she played with me for hours and she learned her tricks and I house broke her so quickly she is so clever and she slept on my bed and cuddled me while I slept and she wakes me up in the mornings I love her so much, almost like I did my first dog and we shared a very happy week

Just last week I was playing with Blondie and my parents came in and told me that they were going to find a new home for her or they would have her put down and when I objected they told me to stop acting up or they would take her now and so I took Blondie to my room with me and I just sobbed for a while, they also said that I did not deserve the dog.

I asked them why and tried lots of negotiation and even though I do all the work and pay for everything they will not let me keep her, I tried very hard and stayed calm and was very respectful but they were persistent and then they tried taking the dog up while she was eating and walked out of the front door with her but I grabbed her off them and ran to my room again.

I did get a reason from them, it is because I am according to them too selfish with her and I don't let other people play with her apart from myself and my girlfriend but because I would not let my little cousins play with her because she is too young and too rough and she got really upset and went of in a temper tantrum but she is coming to live with us now and my parents are saying that the she will just be upset around the dog and that the dog will hurt her little sister, I went a bit mad and yelled "Screw them, Blondie was here first, why don't you ignore them for chrissake" my Dad said "family always comes first" and so I yelled back "BLONDIE IS FAMILY TOO AND SHE IS MUCH LESS OF A LIABILITY THEN THOSE SPOILED COWS"

(those girls have always been difficult and nasty, the family don't like them anyway)

I don't know what to do, I don't want to give her up, money is not an issue at all.

No offence, but you're parents seem like idiotic a$$holes.

Making you get rid of a dog because you won't let it play with other people has got to be the most stupid, ignorant thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Little kids are very capable of hurting smaller sized dogs with their rough style of play. It's not a matter of being "selfish by not letting the dog play" ---it's so that the dog doesn't get his spine crushed by some hyperactive kid. If you're cousin doesn't understand that and throws temper tantrums, then its her parents fault for raising spoiled, entitled little brat.

Secondly, your parents call you selfish? Maybe they should step back and take a look at themselves. You brought this poor, scared, abandoned dog into your home. You out of the goodness of your heart showed her love, and took care of you. You sacrifice your time in order to make this dog happy.... and you're the selfish one? How exactly does that work?

Are your parents both sociopaths or something? They are treating this dog like a disposable item. This dog probably has more emotional depth than your parents, by the sound of it. It has feelings, fears, and a life of its own. The fact that your parents are willing to just toss it away like its previous owners did is deeply, deeply disturbing. Especially considering there is absolutely no valid reason at all. Also, this dog is something that make YOU happy, right? How can they, as parents, just take that away from their own child for no good reason?

So, to sum up

-They're treating the dog like a used napkin.

-They're using the dog as an excuse for your cousin's own behavioural problems

-They're taking away YOUR happiness by taking away the dog

-They're abandoning the dog just like its previous owners.... and possibly even killing it.

I applaud you for dealing with this situation so graciously. If those were my parents, I would have absolutely FLIPPED OUT on them.

In all honesty, I would seriously suggest to your parents that they go through some in depth psychological testing. They appear to have no regard for life, are very selfish, heartless, and not to mention stupid as hell.

Source(s): Sorry, but it's the truth.

Hey there i can only imagine what you are going through i would never give up my dog and would hate to even think i would have to. You are an amazing person for taking this dog into your home and it must be tough standing up to your parents. It seems like your parents concern is that your dog may hurt the new children. It seems that there is no way on changing the fact that the children are coming to live with you. Do you think your dog would be aggressive? Do you think it would be possible for your dog to be trained to love them? I understand that most dogs are scared or aggressive towards children but seeing that your dog is so smart do you think you could train her? Also how long are the new children going to stay? and how soon are they coming in to your home? Would it be possible for you to introduce your dog to them a few times in hopes that your dog can get use to them? you can try letting the children give your dog treats. I have a germane shepard collie mix and he was a rescue and does get scared of children. This was a problem because we have children living near us and stopping by our house all the time. What we did was made sure the children never ran directly at him. And told them to hold there had out with treats. WE let the dog approach the children to take the treat. Never let the children shove treats in his face. As well it seems like the children don't know how to act around a dog. you will need to teach them that a dog is not a toy and is a living being. AS well because your dog is a stray he may have bad experiences with children. Or are the children only staying for a short time can you find some where Else for the dog to stay? I really hope you can keep your dog. But if not i beg you not to take him to a shelter because his changes of finding a new home are slim and the pounds usally euthanize the dogs after a while. try contacting a rescues your area. I hope every thing goes.well.

1. WHY are your parents getting rid of this dog? I may have missed this in this long question

2. Did any of you make any attempt to find the owner of this dog? You can't just keep a stray without at least postering her as a Found dog, making every attempt to see if there is a distraught owner out there looking for her. She should have been handed into your local Shelter as Found, with, if applicable, the proviso that if nobody came forward to claim her, your family would offer her a permanent home. That way she would be legally your dog, in the event later on somebody appeared claiming her.

3. Because this hasn't been done?, your parents do NOT have the right to rehome her/have her put down in any case. She must be handed into your local Shelter. She does not legally belong to your family.

Please ask your parents to do the right thing by this dog.........!

First, why does Blondie have to be put down?

Second, you need to tell your parents that it is your dog. You have gotten attached to her. You have the right to chose who she gets around. Explain to your parents in a calm way that Blondie is really immediate family. Blondie lived there before your cousins. If you parent say "Well Blondie is an animal." Tell them "Then we should all leave. Everyone here is scientifically listed as an Animal."

I am the same way with my dog, but a little less possessive.

You need to tell your parents that she is yours so she stays with you.

• Tee

Bless you for taking in this little love bug!!!

If money is not a problem, this is what you can offer your parents.

(please tell us what the ages of girls are)

Obediance trainng WITH each girl. You can involve the girls, have them go to EACH training session. Help them learn and allow them to handle the dog with supervision (constant) .The girls will learn so much and will bond them to the dog (if they are gentle and they will learn this as they see other handlers being gentle) and they will also learn HOW to be nice and respectful of living things. Actually, with YOUR guidance, the girls will also respect YOU and look up to you (as long as you are patient with the girls and respecfully 'train' them how to properly handle a dog). These girls have obvioulsy been in a rough patch themselves and will need time and patience as well. It should be a win-win here.

If your parents listen and think about this, they too will realize how beneficial this dog will be. the timing is perfect. Everyone benefits!!!

• Ocimom

While I only hear your side of things, if you are too possessive about things, they may feel the dog needs to be socialized in a more open home. YOU live in your parents house. YOU live under their rules. You tried to be nice but its their final decision.

I suggest you not make an issue again, the dog is rehomed and when you grow up and move out on your own, then adopt whatever pet you want to adopt.

Awe! Thats so sad! It looks like your parents wont change their mind. This is what I suggest. Give her too a close friends and when you want to visit her u know where she is. If your in high school then ask them to take care of her until you move out. That's the only thing I can tell u honey. I'd be so sad if my parents took away my chihuahua....

As I said yesterday, stop hogging the dog and let others interact with her. Teach the girls how to play with her instead of just saying "you can't, because you're too rough". Show them how.