TIm asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 years ago

Front fog lights (are they legal)?

Hi, i've just bought a new Peugeot 107 2012, and it has front fog lights. They function also with the side lights. Just wondering if i can use them with the side lights even if visibility is good?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ALAN S
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Best answer

"Just wondering if i can use them with the side lights even if visibility is good?"

No.

A simple check of the highway code will show you - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Hig...

"226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves "

and in answer to your question -

"236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]"

Seriously Reduced Visibility is less than 100 metres.

Whilst we all know the highway code is not law when it refers to "Law RVLR regs 25 & 27" it is quoting the law..

This should point you in the direction of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/part/... - where the law is spelled out.

Source(s): The Highway Code The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
  • 8 years ago

If the visibility is more than 100m it is illegal to use any front or rear fog lights,

Using as you suggest is pointless

An acquaintance of mine actually got a fixed penalty last year for using front fogs for no reason - its a great reason for a bored traffic cop to pull you over.

Nearly all cars now have front fogs - maybe you are one of those that thinks putting them on makes you look good? It doesn't - makes you look a ****

• 8 years ago

They will not dazzle other road users during daylight hours, they are mounted too low and have at least a 2% angle downwards on them. (in reality because sunlight has far greater light levels per m^2 that your eyes are used to)

What's the point of having lights on when visibility is good anyway? Do you enjoy changing bulbs? lol

Strictly speaking, you should only use them in bad driving conditions, heavy heavy rain, blizzard, fog and mist combined with your main headlamps.

• 8 years ago

No, they can only be used in reduced visibility.

The reason they can work just with side lights is that in severe fog, even dipped headlights can reflect back at you. The lower mounted fog lights reduce that problem.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • kpk
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

It's not fair on other road users if you use front fogs when visibility is good as it can affect their vision by dazzling them. In the Highway Code it says you should not. They're there for safety, not showing off.

• 8 years ago

You must not use fog lights unless visibility is so poor dictates it any other time and it is an offence. Just because joey Mc Chav drives around with the on doesn't mean it is legal.

• 8 years ago

If any part of the illuminated area is less than 600mm from the ground it is illegal to use them except in conditions of fog or falling snow,

• 8 years ago

Fog lights, front or rear should ONLY be used when visibility is restricted - in fog or falling snow.

Posers please note!

• David
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

you can only use them when it is foggy as they can dazzle people if visibility is good

• 8 years ago

It is not illegal but I can't think why you would want them on if the visibility is good.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.