Can any UK registrars or other civil servants answer this, please?

Why was I asked so many irrelevant questions when registering my daughter's birth? The answers to these are not on her birth certificate, but are they on some government file? Is this my first child? If not how many others have I got? -- If I have others, they would be registered. Have I had any abortions... show more Why was I asked so many irrelevant questions when registering my daughter's birth? The answers to these are not on her birth certificate, but are they on some government file?

Is this my first child? If not how many others have I got? -- If I have others, they would be registered.
Have I had any abortions or miscarriages? --- The place for this information is my medical notes.
Have I had any children taken into care? -----

I think I was asked other questions like this, but cannot remember them. I have a friend whose husband registered their 1st child's birth. Would he have been asked about his wife's gynae history? If he was, and did not know the answers to some questions, what would happen?

As well as hearing from registrars, I would like to hear the views of other parents on this, and which country you live in.
you live.
Update: Kernow Lady. I live in Essex and was asked these questions when the registrar visited the hospital. At least one of my friends complained about the questions too.
2 answers 2