Should those from disadvantaged backgrounds be put into boarding school?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • _
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Best answer

Might be a good idea. But society is failing because families are being successfully destroyed. If parents don't care for their children even the best boarding school in the world cannot be a substitute parent. The nanny state is growing but it will never be equivalent to parents caring for their own children.

• 8 years ago

To quote Charles Dicken "let them die and decrease the surplus population" Putting kids in a what amounts to a "reform school" would not help anyone least of all the kids. Violent kids you would have to put some where to protect the rest of the population but when I think of disadvantaged I think the of kids of the poor who are not necessarily violent. Being poor doesn't make you violent. There are lots of violent rich kids.

• 8 years ago

If you look up the philosophy of A S Neill, then yes, someone is now talking sense. I was a dysfunctional kid and went to a progressive boarding school and I prospered in life. Not only that, but there are others I know who are in the public eye and their lives were turned round because of a radical form of education. Most people who have read about it, say it will never work, but I can prove it does!

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

No I went to a boarding school and though not being disadvantaged it was the worst four years of my life.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Absolutely not. The guy looks about as happy as they come in Tory land. Eek!

What he is talking about, is some sort of heavy handed state control of the population. Big Brother.

• 8 years ago

Only if they wanted to go but really isn't that giving the so called parents an easy way out so they don't have to be there as parents at all except for an odd weekend..............

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Harrow and Eton,anyone ?

Of course not,they'd be Comprehensives with beds.

And equally fail.

The Genetically Lobotomised are too far gone at birth.

Source(s): Education by ability YES,.not by monetary disadvantage. The able kids will learn anywhere.
  • Paine
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I'm not sure it would separate families, but there is nothing wrong with giving the child the opportunity to escape if they wish to take it.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Its just borstal by another name and will not solve anything,they have to go out in the world one day don't they?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

They used to be - the schools were known as "Borstals" after the first one that was founded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borstal

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.