J

The Nanny State, what does this term bring to mind?

I've heard this term over and over and it bothers me. I like freedoms to take risk. What comes to your mind when you hear the term the Nanny State?

The term nanny state was coined by the Conservative British MP Iain Macleod who referred to "what I like to call the nanny state" in his column "Quoodle" in the December 3, 1965, edition of The Spectator.

Although the term is undefined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, it has entered use in the United States over the past decade by some political commentators. Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research think tank has used the term to describe conservative policies protecting the income of the rich.

David Harsanyi has also used the term to describe food labeling regulations, the legal drinking age and socially conservative government policies.

It is defined by Dictionary.com as "a government perceived as authoritarian, interfering, or overprotective" and has also come to be associated with socialist practices of having the government basically "baby" the populace by being in charge, in control of, and even financing all of its needs.

You're right.I also find it derogatory & offensive

well, if you like some risk, a nanny state is not for you. For me, a nanny state refers to a government system that prevents the individual from doing things that could be harmful for them. No drug use, no alcohol consumption, no high sugar drinks, no driving fast, no swimming alone, no smoking allowed, no eating of unhhealthy food.

Some people think of nanny state as one where the society saves you if a risk fails, but my personal view is that a nanny state prevents the individual from making the risk-involving effort in the first place.