Can I sue my car insurance company for misleading me?

We've been involved in a car accident. It was a hit and run. We have comprehensive car insurance and made a claim. However in the meantime with the help of police we found the other party involved in the accident. Our insurance company made us an offer as the car was a write-off. They sent us a letter... show more We've been involved in a car accident. It was a hit and run. We have comprehensive car insurance and made a claim. However in the meantime with the help of police we found the other party involved in the accident. Our insurance company made us an offer as the car was a write-off. They sent us a letter evaluating our car at £1700 minus the excess so we would receive £1500. We sent them the car documents and sent the forms to DVLA as well. Now they are not willing to stick to the deal as in the meantime the policy holder has changed their job and failed to notify them. The accident happened a month ago and since then we have been renting car after car so we can go to work. When we bought a new car and wanted to put it on the policy they told us everything is on hold and they are investigating to see if the policy is still valid as due to the change of job it might not be. So we have an offer in writing, it took them a month since we made the claim to tell us it might not be valid. In the meantime although we had a comprehensive insurance we had no courtesy car so lost money on renting cars.
They were aware from the moment we made the claim that the policy holder had changed jobs. Now they are still investigating and worst case scenario would be to give us the car back and they money we paid them for insurance. But I am still left with financial loses (i.e. rented cars) Can I sue them for misleading us?