Is this a bad thesis statement?

I have to write an essay on the book, "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," by Sherman Alexie. My outline is due tomorrow, but I'm still stuck on a thesis. My topic is racism.

Is this a bad thesis?

Racism is common if you are aren't the typical white kid.

The white kids don't get laughed at in the book, so I figured that fits.

• Laura

A good thesis statement normally outlines the three supporting points - sometimes a statement like you wrote is a great lead for your thesis. You're on the right track. You need to go just a little further. You might say Sherman Alexie shows three ways in which racism is common for those who are not white kids. The three ways racism plagues the non-white kids are ________, _________, and __________.

I haven't read the book so I couldn't give you three ways, but I'm sure you can fill that in.

I haven't read the book, so I'll pretend that I have, and give you an example of a strong thesis.

Ex: Through the use of metaphor and dramatic irony, the plight of racism is illuminated to show that racism can be detrimental to youth.

The thesis is what you're trying to prove here. This thesis is good because in your first paragraph, you can talk about metaphor, and how it is used to show how racism is detrimetal to youth. In the second, same thing except for dramatic irony. This would suggest a four paragraph essay, but if you're more comfortable with a standard five paragraph essay, you merely need to add in another point to discuss besides metaphor and dramatic irony.

For three paragraph essays, it's better to be even more specific.

Ex: Racism is detrimental emotionally to youth.

Then you've got an intro, body paragraph about how racism affects youth EMOTIONALLY, and a conclusion.

Anyways, are you sure that you're not asking if your sentence there is a good opening statement? Because I think it's great hook then. If that's your thesis, then it means that you're trying to prove racism is common in places where there are a majority of white people, and I would discourage its usage then because it's not very strong nor easy to prove.

Good luck, and hope I helped!

Yeah thats bad.