hvjones2005 asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

How can I introduce my cat to new neighbourhood cats?

We've recently moved home with our 1 year old cat and next door have two older cats of their own. They have been staring and hissing at each other through the window and I'm worried about how to introduce them when he's allowed to start going outside again. Any suggestions that can prevent a cat fight?

Cats will introduce themselves one way or another. They will either fight or run, unless you want your cat to be an indoor cat it is going to happen either way. I have 5 cats and my neighbour got a kitten last year for the first couple of times next doors cat went out mines went to check her out but now 3 of them play with her while the other 2 ignore her.

Let your cat out and supervise in case of fight for the first couple of days but usually they will settle down after a few hisses and swipes.

• liz

No there is nothing to prevent a cat war going on. Its the way of animals hierarchy and all that.

You could always keep your cat indoors or just let him out when you go out into the garden, that way he wont stray.

Keep your cat inside. How hard is that? Its not and its what responsible owners do. They keep their cats inside so they don't get into fights with other cats and get killed or get infections form wounds, be a pest, get killed by coyotes or ran over by cars.

Why risk the neighbors cats killing yours or having to take your cat tot he vet for a massive infection?

Throw a party and invite them over for drinks. Maybe later in the evening do some lines of catnip.

Without a good old fashioned cat fight these cats will never be able to determine hierarchy in your neighbourhood. regardless of what you de and despite your best efforts there is going to be a cat fight when you let your cat outside. They may even drive your cat away.

CASE IN POINT

- I let my neutered male cat out and the local cats tried to kill him until the lead instigator was killed by coyotes. They still won't allow him to socialize with but because he's now the largest cat in these parts they no longer attack him either.

- when we let our diminutive spayed female cat out we expected the same. However, the feral and local cats barely paid her any mind at all and she now hunts with the local feral cats. They line up some mornings on our property line to wait for her to be let out.

Don't let him out keeping him in will prevent cat fights and unwanted diseases at bay not to mention the proverbial car

How about all you neighborhood idiots keep your cats indoors.