How many apple pips would it take to kill you?

I know they contain a certain amount of cyanide, I'm just wondering how many of them would make it a lethal dose. And yes, I know it would be lots, I'm looking for a number...?

LD50 for the rat taking sodium cyanide is 6440 microgram/kg rat weight

NaCN is 0.53 CN.. thus, for a rat LD50 is 3413 micrograms/kg rat weight.

An LD50 is the amount of substance it takes to kill 50 percent of the animals.

second assumption that the same amount it takes to kill a rat will kill a human

3413 micrograms CN/kg x 130 lb/2.2 lb/kg = 201577 micrograms ~ 202 milligrams

Lets assume the paper below has the same amount of cyanide in apple seeds as in the common Vetch seed. So the cyanide compounds are found at 0.74 micromole/g of vetch seed. The molecular weight of cyanide is 12+14 = 26 so that means 19.2 microgram/g apple seed.

201577 micrograms / (19.2 micrograms CN/g apple seed) = 10504 g apple seeds

10504g/1000g/kg = 10.5 kg apple seeds x 2.2 lb/kg = 23.1 pounds of apple seeds

Of course that assumes you would be able to digest the seeds sufficiently to get the full dose and sufficientlly quickly to reach the required toxic amount before it is removed from your system. And not vomit.

If you assume 5 grams apple seeds per apple that is 2100 apples

Apple Pips

• Renee

If you'll notice, apple trees only grow at low altitude. In fact any tree only grows at low altitude. That's why on a mountain, the tree line stops at a certain point. That also means a tree requires a dense atmosphere, because the thin atmosphere on mountain tops can't support trees. So any planet with a dense enough atmosphere to support a tree would cause the apple to burn up entering that atmosphere from space.

They only kill you if you chew the pips to the release the cyanide, if you swallow them whole you re fine, the shell of the pip protects the chemical from escaping into your body. Its like apples evolved to know how stupid humans are.

Dang. That's a lot of apples.

oh dang it, I eat whole apples every day, ever sense 2 years ago.

Yes it would and it might vary apple to apple and seed to seed. Better poisons are out there- not going to share them with you but many you should go outside and enjoy your day instead of plotting murder/suicides.

My mum always said not to eat them because an apple tree would grow inside your stomach...

Do I win something if I get it right,......mybe a book or something

You couldn't manage to swallow the pounds necessary.