What's with this guy? More to the point, what's with me?

I have worked at a certain fast food restaurant for three years now, and have always liked this particular guy, let's call him Giovanni. At first he was a very good friend and helped me out a lot when I first started. Then, about a year ago, my feelings for him became stronger, and I started to develop a crush... show more I have worked at a certain fast food restaurant for three years now, and have always liked this particular guy, let's call him Giovanni. At first he was a very good friend and helped me out a lot when I first started. Then, about a year ago, my feelings for him became stronger, and I started to develop a crush on him. Soon enough, a few people, including him, found out about it! The thing is, Giovanni plays up to it and when I flirt with him, he flirts right back. However, he is a natural flirt (although he denies it!) and acts very much the same around all the girls; it must be the Italian charm... For this reason, I'm not sure whether he really likes me back.

Another thing, I'm not quite sure how to handle this crush. I am very professional and can hold together my laughter and (usually!) my dizziness in front of the customers (in fact it helps me smile around customers, which has been difficult for me as I have been having a tough time of late), but when he says something, looks at me in a certain way, or catches me looking at him, I tend to blush, or start laughing. Like this afternoon; I was saying goodbye to him, and he said goodbye in what I can only describe as a flirty way, and I just giggled like an idioit. I walked out of the staffroom and out the building, inwardly cursing myself for being so stupid. Another thing that embarrasses me is that one colleague in particular, teases me relentlessly about it, and even addresses me as "Mrs [Giovanni's surname]" sometimes. This is funny to a point, but it does get irritating.

So, because of what Giovanni is like, I'm not sure whether to bite the bullet and ask him out, through fear of rejection. He's had tough times in relationships as well so I don't blame him if he just doesn't want to know. I don't want to embarrass myself, or him, and damage the friendship we have. How do I approach this? I just need some outsider's advice. Thanks! :D