can i put the washing machine onto the hot water pipe and dishwasher onto the cold water pipe???? would this m?

Brought a dishwasher...... brought a s***** Y connector it leaked brought another one it leaked...... so my washing machine only uses the cold and heats up the water inside the machine so would it matter if connected the washing machine up to the hot water pipe (knowing it take ages for the hot water to come through) and connected the dish washer up to the cold water pipe (thus saving p******* about with Y connectors) Please please help really don't want to get a plumber in!!!!!!

Update:

So either way it's fine!!!! i live in an newly built house 12 years old (just abit p****** that in todays world they did not but the right pipe work in for both washing machine and dishwasher) I understand the issues with a cold rinse but my washer (being a year old and very modern) warms up the water to rinse to save on drying time and being a large family (of 5) i never do a cool or cold wash either a 40 or a 60 wash........ Just fed up that all the people i know say it easy putting a dish washer in so i got one to find it's a bloody pain in the bum to fit..... because of the shoddy pipe work under my sink!!!!! :(

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best answer

Hi Shelly,

To start you are right all Y pieces or crap,they always leak so we don't use them anymore.The washing machine MUST be on a COLD feed as it must rinse in cold water. If it rinses in hot it will shrink your clothes and start to damage the fibres also.

It is possible to put the dishwasher on the hot feed, But with some of the modern machines it will not work, Because all appliances are not controlled electronically they can sense how long it will take to fill to the correct water level, the hot water pressure is always a lot lower than the cold hence taking longer to fill. If it takes to long the dishwasher will start flashing lights or show an error code.(telling you it has taken to long to fill).

My advise is to plumb the dishwasher in the HOT supply and give it a test! Start it on a quick wash and if it finishes the program tif it does problem solved.

Good luck

• 8 years ago

Plastic Y pieces are often bad news, especially if you are using a cheap one from somwhere like B&Q. Sometimes you can find that brass ones are much better.

You should not connect the dishwasher to hot water supply at all, and if the washing machine only has a single water inlet that must also be connected to the cold supply.

There are good reasons for this: the main ones are that the dishwasher needs cold water for rinse and its hot water must be hotter than your hot water supply; and the washing machine will heat the right amount of water that it needs much cheaper than the cost of drawing it from your tank (as you say, it takes a long time and the machine's heater will be on long before the hot water arrives).

First make sure that the rubber washers in your Y piece are all intact and in place. Then get some PTFE tape (often just called "Plumber's Tape") and wrap this around the threads of the pipe splitter. This tape in not glued but it does "cling to itself" which makes it interesting to handle.

Make sure that you wrap it around following the direction of the thread (not across it) so that the tape sits in the grooves. About half a dozen thicknesses is usually enough. When you screw the pipes onto the taped threads this forms an effective waterproof seal.

You could also call in a plumber. The fee of £70 or less to plumb in your machines isn't a lot compared with the cost of them. It's probably less than a family day out. You'll save money in the end by using the right water supply that the machines were built for.

Source(s): Loads of experience.
  • 8 years ago

Ignore USA answers on this as their dishwashers seem to have hot fill connection as well as cold, which we don't - ours always heat their own water. Its cold fill only for dishwasher as they usually have a couple of cold rinses during the cycle and plumbing into the hot will double the electricity consumption.

As for the clothes washer, I'm afraid its either cold only or both. If you run it on hot then it might take time for the hot water to get through, but by the time you get to the cold rinse on your wollen programme the hot water will be coming through.... Even on hot programmes there are cold rinses and again using hot water all the way through will double the electrcity usage.

Bite the bullet and get a plumber. You managed to afford a house, a new clothes washer and now a new dishwasher so another £50 is not going to break the bank

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

can i put the washing machine onto the hot water pipe and dishwasher onto the cold water pipe???? would this m?

Brought a dishwasher...... brought a s***** Y connector it leaked brought another one it leaked...... so my washing machine only uses the cold and heats up the water inside the machine so would it matter if connected the washing machine up to the hot water pipe (knowing it take ages for the hot...

Source(s): put washing machine hot water pipe dishwasher cold water pipe m: https://shortly.im/6XCOF
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I have our washing machine on the hot water to save on the electric bill. The machine doesn't use a lot of water so it never gets too hot, even for a cool wash, and I don't care if it doesn't have a cold rinse, there's nothing wrong with a warm rinse, the clothes dry quicker afterwards, especially good when like us you don't have an electric dryer.

I would personally put both machines on the hot. But one person does make a good point - it may not be satisfactory if the hot water pressure is low. As we don't have a cold or hot water tank and we use a combi boiler, our hot water is pushed through by the cold water feed, so hot water pressure is almost as high as cold.

• 8 years ago

Not quite sure why you bought a dishwasher Shelley, that's a woman's job. If it wasn't for Pankhurst and friends, you would have a mangle and dollypeg also. Just get back in the kitchen and get the fairy liquid out. Remember "For hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face, with mild green, FAIRY LIQUID"

Damn, I'm hungry now, can i have a sammich??

On a serious note. You can buy these "self tapping washing machine taps". Just pop to your local DIY shed, pesay B&Q, Homebase and ask for these washing machine taps. You just need a screwdriver and presto, as many hot and cold taps as you need.

Make sure you keep a bucket under for a few hours testing, you may need to tighten the screws or turn the tap around itself more to make a seal. These sell for about £6 each, and if it fails, calling a plumber will replace then piece of pipe damaged and you have also lost the price of self tapping taps.

Kind Regards, Dan.

• evans
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Homebase Washing Machines

• gornto
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

B&q Washing Machine

• 8 years ago

while both machine can accept hot water or cold as will both have internal heaters and technically it should simply mean they don't need to use the heaters so much in reality a low flow water rate or pressure often bring other issues with Machine sensors.

ideally have a Friend who is fairly competent with DIY assist here. a 'Y' adaptor may not be best solution. we can have Various setup such as 'T' adaptors etc or even re plumb to both machines have access to mains pressure cold water ( best solution long term). most local plumbers will give some free advise if asked nicely and offer solutions eg B&Q.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

you will not get a cold rinse if you only have a hot feed to any of the machines ,so get someone to plumb them in for you. the y pieces may need hose clips to stop them leaking

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.