Is it okay for dogs to live outside or should I get rid of it?

I am not a dog person, at all. I love cats, and my husband loves dogs. A year ago, I had huge issues with his dog (eating my underwear, digging up kitty litter all over the floor, tearing up my brand new blinds, getting into our food, and the list goes on and on and on). It got to where I asked him to leave the dog... show more I am not a dog person, at all. I love cats, and my husband loves dogs. A year ago, I had huge issues with his dog (eating my underwear, digging up kitty litter all over the floor, tearing up my brand new blinds, getting into our food, and the list goes on and on and on). It got to where I asked him to leave the dog outside when he came home (which was less than a day at a time because he is a truck driver, and during the time he gave it food, water, shelter, etc.), and he said that was animal abuse.

He told me to get rid of my cat if I wanted to get rid of his dog because we couldn't agree on anything with it and fought all the time. So I gave my cat away and then we gave his dog away. Now fast forward a year later..

I went to a friend's house to pick something up and she showed me this cute little puppy and asked if I wanted it. I showed the dog to my husband and he said he wanted her. I said I didn't want any part of it, that it was for him. She could hang out with him on the road and we would train her on the weekends (he's now home every weekend). His dog, not mine. His responsibility. He agreed.

He told me I could get a cat (although he has now changed his mind, but that's not my problem here). So he takes the dog on the road with him, and after two weeks, his company calls him and says no dogs allowed in the truck. We didn't even think of this because every company he has worked for allows dogs in the trucks. So he comes home 2 weekends ago and hands the dog to me.

I don't want the dog.

It jumps all over my kids (clawed my 5 year old son's eyeball tonight), chews on everything, whines all the time, yes, it's a typical dog, but I'm not patient enough for a dog! I've had to put it in the crate to keep it from chewing on everything. It got tired of being in there (of course), so I put it outside on a leash. It's happy. No barking, gets to run, has food water and shelter. He tells me that's animal abuse.

I suggest having her be an outside dog because I think it will be a great compromise. He says it's animal cruelty having a dog on a leash, even if it's very long (He may be right, I don't know, but we don't have a fenced in backyard).

I tell him we can get a doghouse with bedding and the whole sha-bang, and again, he says no and starts yelling at me. He yells "What is your problem with dogs!" so I'm honest and tell him. They are nasty creatures, dirty, don't clean themselves, loud, clingy, ruins your stuff, stinks up car in 2 days (even after it's very recently had a bath), licks it's genitals then tries to lick your face, slobbers, etc. He amazingly responds with "Well then you can't get a cat because I don't like them for the same reason!" (even though they are the exact opposite...).

This isn't some dogs vs. cats battle. I don't care if I can get a cat or not. I love them, but I've gone a year without one and I've been fine. My question is what to do about this current situation. Our conversation ended with me saying "You should APPRECIATE that I'm feeding your dog and taking care of it when I do not even like it. I'm trying to compromise with you" (yes I yelled it), and he yells back "BYE" and hangs up on me. I called him back and told him I was getting rid of the dog.

I don't need dog lovers defending the dog, or cat lovers saying "you go girl".. I want to know what the RIGHT thing to do is, with this dog. I have no patience for it, I yell at it because it won't shut up, and it drives me insane.

Is it a good compromise to have it be an outside dog?

Should I just get rid of it?

The dog does not have a happy home here. I despise it and my kids enjoy playing with it, until 10 seconds later the dog hurts them with soft bites or clawing them. My husband adores it. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

I have no patience to train the dog. My husband has no time to do it, and frankly, has no interest in training it because any time the dog pisses me off his response is "Ohh,,, it's just a wittle puppy dog.." ugh. He laughs at me when the dog makes me mad. WHAT DO I DO?
Update: Amazing, I ask for advice, and I get some idiot telling me it's horrible to put a dog on a leash. You can find them at any pet store, walmart, and just about any large retail store. Try to find a leash for a human, that isn't at a kinky sex store, and I'll agree with your logic. It's a DOG. Just... show more Amazing, I ask for advice, and I get some idiot telling me it's horrible to put a dog on a leash. You can find them at any pet store, walmart, and just about any large retail store. Try to find a leash for a human, that isn't at a kinky sex store, and I'll agree with your logic. It's a DOG. Just like a cat is a cat. This isn't some dog vs. cat problem. I wouldn't let my cats eat off my plate or get up on the counter. There is nothing wrong with having BOUNDARIES for pets. They are LESS than humans, just as CATS are less than humans as well. Maybe I should ground it or put it in timeout the next time it bites my kid, because they are just as special as human beings. I think not. To the idiot that posted that, you're stupid.

The dog doesn't beg for food or water either. I don't abuse it. I just simply DO NOT LIKE DOGS, and it's sad you think I don't have the right to dislike them.

Maybe since dogs are just as important as humans, we should l