My car door wont open!!?

i have a 1998 ford explorer sport. my driver side door wont open. seems to be something wrong with the lock system. when i unlock the door the little nob doesn't pop out of the hole like it used to. normally when the door is locked you can unlock it by pulling the inside handle but that doesn't work, it just feels like the handle is going to break so i didnt want to force it anymore. has anyone had this problem or know what the problem is? and about how much it will cost to get fixed?

Favorite Answer

yeah the doors on those explorer's in general are crap. cheap plastic parts inside brake and they are a real pain in the xxx to fix. you'll find that out real quick when you try and pay some one to fix it. Upwards from 200 to 500 bucks.. the part itself at auto zone is only $5 bucks or so but I would try and get it from the dealer because the parts auto zone have are just generic and not exact fits like the dealer's have. I would say try it yourself but sense the door's stuck closed I don't know. if it's like my Volvo then the panel seals behind the metal framing when the door is shut to reduce wind noise so very hard to get it apart without braking it if not impossible while the doors shut. another thing to try is just go to the junk yard and get another door if you can find a matching color and putting it on assuming you don't mind not having a key for it unless you pay a locksmith to make you one of course.. then you can get a saws all or something and just cutt into it from the inside giving you access to the locking mechanism to open it and remove from the door brackets I don't know just ideas anyways..

This once happened to me except it was in the back seats and you could only not open it from the inside but anyway the child safety lock was on and wouldn't turn off, sorry I don't know how much it costs to get fixed though I hope this helps :)

Take the door panel off. There are plastic pieces on the lock linkage, probably broken

If you are mechanically inclined just take off the door paned and look of any broken linkages or parts.