1. Facebook is the best known social network, it is also the second place of the most visited sites in the world according to Alexa
In some countries (Algeria, Mexico, Indonesia, Argentina, Egypt, Pakistan, Malaysia, Manila, Nigeria, Colombia, Greece and Turkey) Facebook proves to be the most visited site, surpassing Google, Yahoo and YouTube
Facebook was launched on 2004 but the domain was registered by someone else back in 1997.
Estimated members:over 800 million | Alexa World ranking:2 | Top social networking sites
2.Twitter is the ninth in the Alexa’s rankings of the World most visited websites. It’s the second at our chart about top social networking sites
Do you know that the domain twitter.com was recorded over 6 years before the birth of Twitter Inc.?
Estimated members:over 175 million | Alexa World ranking:9 | Top social networking sites
3. Linkedin is the most visited business related social networking website, it’s also in the top20 most visited website in the world according to Alexa Ranking.
It ranks 12th in the world, and it’s on top10 in several countries (Netherlands,Ireland,India,Denmark,South Africa,Pakistan,Belgium,Israel )
Estimated members:over 115 million | Alexa World ranking:12 | Top social networking sites
4. Google Plus.
Being a sub domain of Google, it is difficult to do a traffic analysis with traditional indicators (Alexa, Quantcast, Compete) but we can not ignore it. It had an explosive growth during October 2011.
Estimated members: 90 million | Alexa World ranking:n/a | Top social networking sites
5. Pinterest is a brand new social networking sites. Although it is a social network with membership based on invitations, Pinterest is becoming one of the 100 most visited websites in the world and it is already in the Top30 in USA
Estimated members:n/a | Alexa World ranking:53 | Top social networking sites
Here is a list of the top 5 social networking sites, but our ranking proceeds!
Top social networking sites
6. LiveJournal (LJ) is a social network owned by SUP Media where Internet users can keep a blog, journal or diary – a wide variety of political pundits also use the service for political commentary, particularly in Russia, where it partners with the politically-independent online newspaper Gazeta.ru (also owned by parent company SUP Media). As with many other social networks, a wide variety of public figures use the network. However, LiveJournal is also the name of the free and open source server software that was designed to run the LiveJournal virtual community.
Estimated members: n/a | Alexa World ranking:106 | Top social networking sites
7. Badoo is a another famous social network site. its headquarters is in London, but is run by a Cypriot society.
Its founder is a Russian entrepreneur called Andrey Andreev.
The Economist, in September this year, wrote an article pointing out that Badoo has all it takes to become a top company.
Badoo is popular mainly in Italy, Spain, France and South America.
Estimated members:over 125 million | Alexa World ranking:119 | Top social networking sites
8. DeviantArt commonly abbreviated as dA is an online community showcasing various forms of user-made artwork. It was first launched on August 7, 2000 by Scott Jarkoff, Matthew Stephens, Angelo Sotira and others. deviantArt, Inc. is headquartered in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles, California, United States.
deviantArt aims to provide a platform for any artist to exhibit and discuss works. Works are organized in a comprehensive category structure, including photography, digital art, traditional art, literature, Flash, filmmaking, skins for applications, operating system customization utilities and others, along with extensive downloadable resources such as tutorials and stock photography. Additional utilities include journals, polls, groups and portfolios.
Estimated members: n/a | Alexa World ranking:139 | Top social networking sites
9. MySpace still ranks well,even if their earnings drops and News Corp. sold it. The comparison with Facebook is an abyss and recently has been surpassed by Google Plus also.
Like Facebook also generates revenue through advertising, which is easily optimized thanks to the information that users write themselves
Justin Timberlake in one of main investors in Myspace
Estimated members:over 33 million | Alexa World ranking:157 | Top social networking sites