What do you think of my relocation ideas for NHL teams?

New York Islanders → Hamilton, Canada The Islanders are easily one of the biggest failures in sports history. Next to no fan support at all. Hamilton is a great place to put an NHL team. Despite what you Americans think, Hamiltonians are NOT Sabres fans. We are a different country than the US, and we mainly... show more New York Islanders → Hamilton, Canada
The Islanders are easily one of the biggest failures in sports history. Next to no fan support at all. Hamilton is a great place to put an NHL team. Despite what you Americans think, Hamiltonians are NOT Sabres fans. We are a different country than the US, and we mainly support teams based on proximity within our own country, and the teams we grew up watching. Hamilton and Toronto have always had a sports rivalry with the Tiger Cats and the Argonauts, therefore Toronto, despite its relative closeness to Hamilton, does not dominate the hockey market there. Putting an NHL team in Hamilton will bring the community together to support their team like they do with the Tiger Cats.

Florida Panthers→Halifax, Canada
The Panthers are a joke of a team. The little hockey fanaticism there is in the U.S. state of Florida is for the Tampa Bay Lightning, simply because of the fact that they have won a Stanley Cup.
The Canadian Maritimes are a huge sports market that has very little in the way of franchises. You may bicker about how the population isn't that large, but let me remind you people, this is Canada. Virtually everyone in our country is a hockey fan, and an NHL game in Halifax could easily draw as many as fans many existing teams' games.

Phoenix Coyotes→Quebec City, Canada
The Coyotes have been a complete and utter financial disaster. They're barely hanging on as it is. Why kind of wacko thought an ice hockey team in the middle of the desert would be a good idea, anyway? If the kids don't play hockey in the wintertime, they are going to grow up to be hockey fans either.
It's ridiculous that Quebec lost its team in the first place. They are easily a large enough hockey market to support a team. They deserve a second chance.

San Jose Sharks→Victoria, Canada
If there's one thing that won't hurt the US state of California's sports market is one less team. Particularly a hockey team.
Vancouver Island is in desperate need of a team. The island's population of nearly three quarters of a million does not find it convenient to take a long ferry ride to the mainland every time they want to see a live hockey game.
Update: It's called the NHL because it's the national hockey league of Canada. Adding more American teams is a silly idea, and you can just look at the attendance records of recently founded American NHL franchises if you want proof.
Update 2: I can't believe how ignorant some of my fellow hockey "fans" are. Hamiltonians are NOT Sabres fans. Hamilton is well divided in terms of team support, but the Sabres aren't close to being one of Hamilton's favourite teams.
12 answers 12