Luke asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 8 years ago

Is there Such Thing as Conjoined Twins?

I was Searching Around on YouTube and I found A video Called Conjoined Twins, Abby & Brittany Hensel turn 16. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKWApOAG2g

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related). I was Wondering if this was a Cheap YouTube Trick, or if you can have "Conjoined Twins". I know I have never seen one (or Two). And If It is Real, Can You Have A Boy and a Girl or Conjoined Triplets! Please Give me A Full, Thorough Answer and Don't Give Me Short Crap. Thanks!!!!

Conjoined twins (also known as siamese twins because of a circus act - the Bunker twins, who were from Siam, now Thailand.) happen when one fertilized egg splits in two. Normally it splits completely and you get identical twins. Sometimes it doesn't split completely and you get conjoined twins. Because they come from the same egg, they have the same DNA and have to be the same gender. Most of them die before birth or soon after. If they survive, a decision has to be made about whether or not they can be separated. Sometimes they have to separate them, knowing one baby will die but knowing both will die if they don't. Sometimes they can't be separated because they can have too many shared organs - brain, liver, heart. It can vary a lot from just a band of tissue to sharing everything but having two heads.

Conjoined triplets are possible, but usually it tends to be two joined and one born separate because identical triplets are very rare. There was one case that I found reported, but the pregnancy was terminated. I couldn't find documentation of any that survived birth. There are also rare cases of nonsurviving conjoined quadruplets.

The twins in the video are real. They have had a couple of specials on TLC.

Source(s): Regular twin
  • Caitie

Yes, conjoined twins happen, and they are always identical so no..you cannot have a boy and a girl conjoined twins, much less triplets. Conjoined triplets would not survive..too many tissues and organs shared too thinly would not make them viable.

Conjoined twins happen when the egg splits to form identical twins but for some reason, the split is incomplete and two identical twins (which always are the same gender because they share the same DNA) form who share some organs, blood vessels and bone. What is shared depends on how the partial split happened. Sometimes, the conjoined twins share very little except some connective tissue and can be separated relatively easily by surgery, but sometimes they share more tissue and organs and the surgery to separate them is far more involved and difficult. In the most tragic cases, they share one organ that cannot be separated, such as the heart or brain. In that case, one twin must be sacrificed or both will eventually die.

Conjoined twins are never fraternal, because fraternal twins develop from two different eggs and two different sperm cells, so they are not joined in the first place. You can have male/female fraternal twins, but identical twins are always the same gender because their DNA is identical, so they are either both XX (girls) or XY (boys).

Source(s): masters, human physiology; retired AP bio, physiology teacher

Those are also known as Siamese Twins. Yes, they occur. They are almost always identical. Very, very rarely non-identical twins can be conjoined but I don't think that's going to be viable. Their bodies will reject each other and they should end up miscarried/spontaneously aborted.

When an embryo is developing and is only a few cells big, it can split into two or three pieces. Each piece will develop into a unique individual, an identical twin. Rarely, the split isn't complete. Two individuals form, but share either a small portion of their bodies or almost an entire single body. Chang and Eng, the original Siamese Twins of historical fame, had only a single band of tissue connecting them.

When two non-identical embryos (which can be different sexes) are damaged, they can merge. I know of at least one chimeric person; half her cells are XX, half are XY, and she has two different genotypes. In her case, the embryos merged completely. If they had only partially merged, she'd would have been two people, conjoined twins, and probably not survived until birth.

Yes there's a such thing as conjoined twins, why do you think there's a term for it? To expand on that rhetorical question, conjoined twins (also known as Siamese twins) are identical twins whose bodies are joined in utero. A rare phenomenon, the occurrence is estimated to range from 1 in 50,000 births to 1 in 100,000 births, with a somewhat higher incidence in Southwest Asia and Africa. Approximately half are stillborn, and a smaller fraction of pairs born alive have abnormalities incompatible with life. The overall survival rate for conjoined twins is approximately 25%. The condition is more frequently found among females, with a ratio of 3:1.Two contradicting theories exist to explain the origins of conjoined twins. The older theory is fission, in which the fertilized egg splits partially. The second and more generally accepted theory is fusion, in which a fertilized egg completely separates, but stem cells (which search for similar cells) find like-stem cells on the other twin and fuse the twins together. Conjoined twins share a single common chorion, placenta, and amniotic sac, although these characteristics are not exclusive to conjoined twins as there are some monozygotic but non-conjoined twins that also share these structures in utero.The most famous pair of conjoined twins was Chang and Eng Bunker (1811–1874), Thai brothers born in Siam, now Thailand. They traveled with P.T. Barnum's circus for many years and were billed as the Siamese Twins. Chang and Eng were joined by a band of flesh, cartilage, and their fused livers at the torso. In modern times, they could have been easily separated.Due to the brothers' fame and the rarity of the condition, the term "Siamese twins" came to be used as a synonym for conjoined twins

Source(s): Wikipedia, seriously couldn't you have just looked it up?

yeah that's a real thing Rare though. and most of the time nowadays they get separated by medical surgery it's real I've seen documentarys on Discovery channel.

And I also know that there were a pair of Conjoined twins by those names.

@Luke I've blocked you and reported you I see you only ask question so you can thumbs down them your a sad person who needs to get a life douche bag.