When SORN is declared on your car, do you HAVE to obtain theft insurance?

My car will be in a driveway, but a very secure one. It's hard to describe, but we live in a very anti-theft area (though I'm sure there is still theft) and the house itself is so well protected, including the hidden driveway (which is more like an open high-security car park), that I would rather not... show more My car will be in a driveway, but a very secure one. It's hard to describe, but we live in a very anti-theft area (though I'm sure there is still theft) and the house itself is so well protected, including the hidden driveway (which is more like an open high-security car park), that I would rather not obtain the insurance.

Also, my car insurance is costing £1456 (annually) and it has just been manufactured. I am under 25 and this is my first car. Is this a normal rate for insurance?
Update: Just to add: I am declaring SORN because I cannot drive the car yet. I do know it would be better to let the dealer have the car for the time being, but I rather have it myself.
Update 2: The driveway is on private land :)