Why do people think that kids who are being bullied should just fight back?

I recently found out that my 11 year old son is being bullied by five seventh grade boys. They've gave him a black eye, broken his ribs, stolen his lunch money and ran him out of class two times. My son is a very short and scrawny kid and he's never fought a day in his life. I told him to stand up to the... show more I recently found out that my 11 year old son is being bullied by five seventh grade boys. They've gave him a black eye, broken his ribs, stolen his lunch money and ran him out of class two times. My son is a very short and scrawny kid and he's never fought a day in his life. I told him to stand up to the bullies and they'd leave him alone. He tried it and ended up in the hospital again with a broken nose, fractured skull and two broken arms. Why don't some of you parents just accept the fact that fighting back sometimes isn't an option? Have you forgotten the fact that some bullies carry weapons or fight in groups? Would you rather your child end up in the hospital or dead because you told them to "fight back" and stand up for themselves? I say just let the principal handle it or get the police involved. That's what I'm doing currently.