Girls playing WR on high school football team?

Next year I'm going to be a senior at my high school and I really want to play on the school's team. I know most girls are punters/kickers, but that lame position and I play wide receiver. I play full contact football on the weekends with huge guys on semi-pro teams, so I'm fine with taking hits. My problem is all the **** I don't want to hear from guys on the team or the rest of the school. I don't want special treatment because I'm a "fragile" girl or guys tackling me extra hard to prove I can't handle it, because I can.What are your honest opinions about me playing WR?

My only opinion is that you should get with the coach and see if WR is an option for you.. He may have different ideas about where you will play... Good luck....

If you're good at it, who cares what they have to say?

In my opinion, the best way to silence a critic is to prove them wrong. In this case, you have several critics from other girls that may say football is a guys sport, to your team mates who see you as nothing more than a "fragile" flower that really can't compete. How should you silence them? With your actions on the football field. I would say that regardless of what the guys on your team say or feel about you playing with them, you want to gain their respect. This will only making your experience on the team better. Just because they're guys, doesn't mean that they can play any better than you can or even at a higher level. With that said, stay on top of practicing every day, catching balls, doing drills and being the best wide receiver you can possibly be.

When it comes time for practice and you're running the best routes, catching all of the balls and embarrassing defenders, the guys will eventually have no choice but to respect your game and see you as a true competitor on the team.

So in closing, don't give up! If you enjoy the game and the position, stick to it regardless of what the naysayers have to say about it. You will silence them with your talent on the field.

• bg4gb

Give ém hell, girl. If they can't find a spot for you as a WR, ask the defensive coach if you can try for a spot as a cornerback, or safety. If you can run, jump, have good hands, and can take a hit, then I see no reason why you wouldn't excel at either of those positions. If you get any hassles about it, sue the school until they give you a chance to prove that you're the best choice for the position. Go get ém.

I don't have an opinion. Honestly, if I was on of the guys on the team and you wanted to play, I would treat you just like every other player on the team, and by that I mean I would go my hardest by hitting you as hard as I can and try to hurt you. Nothing personal, that's just my mindset when playing against another team or at practice.

I think that's sexist. My school has neither, but and many other girls REALLY want to play football. We are thinking of petitioning for it. Really seriously, they have a guys volleyball team in the OLYMPICS for crying out loud. Guys are pretty good to. My team and I played them for fun (we won) but they have some potential.

in all honestly you will be given special treatment. however there is a possibility that safeties wont want to tackle you because you are a girl, so that might work to your advantage. but if you dont want that you could always just be the best player on the girls rugby team

Girls should not be allowed to play football with guys, if that is the case i want to play on the girls basketball team or the softball team. EO!

They should make all girls football.

• Cu Tie

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team this upcoming season. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a girl playing high school football, even on an all-boys team.

Keep in mind, the next step in movement of females playing football is starting to take place. In fact, one of the biggest stories of 2011-2012 is about 2 girls, Brianna Amat and Andrea Marsh, getting recruited to play for college football programs: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ben_...

"9. Putting the boys to shame. The subject of a number of memorable headlines, girls dominated the gridiron in 2011. And following the trailblazing success of Brianna Amat -- Pinckney's (Mich.) kicker turned homecoming queen -- and Andrea Marsh -- Panama's (N.Y.) defensive back extraordinaire -- more girls could follow in their footsteps next season."

The great thing is that this is only the beginning. The number of girls playing high school football, and getting recruited to play for college football programs, is only going to increase rapidly in the next 3-4 years. You can be a part of this movement!

Considering that you are a high school senior girl, I believe that you will make a very good fit at the wide receiver position.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your senior year of high school. If you perform very well in football this upcoming season, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program.

Source(s): I wish you good luck and success in football during your senior year of high school. I really hope that you become the first female wide receiver to get recruited to play for a college football program.
  • Marcus

If they give you special treatment embarrass them and coach will prob take him out. The only thing you will hate is all the paperwork you have to fill out

I know you want to play....but I think you want to play to prove a point. You will get hurt.