laptop wifi techy question?

Say you have a laptop with wifi. Would increasing the size of the antenna wire increase performance of the wifi by creating a larger conductor? I'm asking if anyone's tried this cheap hack by wrapping wire around the wifi antenna wires then isolating the electrons with electrical tape as an insulator. Would it boost signal greatly?

A Faraday Cage is a little different than what I was considering. The idea that I have is basic physics. Increase the mass of the receiving antenna wire. Not making into a static cage. If the wires were stripped, coiled and aimed in one direction towards the wifi receiver and soldered to the end caps, it wouldn't be a cage at all. It would just be a thicker wire. Then with tape, it does work as a wire insulator, just like the plastic tubing crap that's on any wire that's commonly external and exposed. You comment did reflect a true concern to not accidentally do. Appreciate it. Thank

I have seen those tricks Cole. They do work. I'm more after the long range from the laptop for receiving from shorter range transmission.

And Doc, you'r absolutely right about the right length. All the comments here are worth considering to forming a plan. It's all I'm doing at the moment. The idea is for improving the laptop in mountainous rural areas with line of sight FM transmission. It's just a mod, and call it a spoof of prepping.

Now if someone can figure out how to make a laptop coffee proof, let me know.

I haven't actually tried that trick.

It is possible.

But if you're looking for a better signal, you could wrap aluminum foil around a plastic cup, cut a hole in the bottom of it, and cut off one side of the cup. Then you can direct the signal towards more specific locations which could (depending on the direction you have it pointing):

1) Keep people outside of the perimeter from having a good signal. (The perimeter being beyond outside of the open portion of the cup.)

2) Provides stronger signal inside of the perimeter.

I haven't really experimented on this project either, but I have seen where somebody did it, and it worked.

I suppose both are worth experimenting with if you're unhappy with your internet/router signal.

• Nunya

electrical tape does not effect wireless in any way shape or form.

wrapping wire around an antenna that isn't part of the antenna will act as a faraday cage and prevent the signal from getting out.

Basically, it would screw up your connection if anything.

You can check to see if your router can utilize DD-WRT (google it). As far as using something to boost your signal goes, you should workb from the transmitter, not the receiver. I've seen guys shape parabolic dishes out of tin foil and put them on the router antennae, achieving minor results.

Greater length really isn't the issue so much as precise length is. Example, FM waves are approx 1/4 inch in length so snipping the ant. wire in 1/4 inch increments until you achieve optimum results is key. Matching your ant. length to multiples of the wave length (I think ). (*v*)

Good luck