What is Sharia Law Exactly?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
As Salmu Alaikum I always heard it through bias media i know they are Islamic Laws but i dont know in much detials In Media Sharia Law is considered barbaric laws in islamic ...show more
Update : Mick:Yes they are facts but they only report it it they did anything ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Shariah law is the law in Islam (Quran & hadith).

It is not bad like how the lying media portrays it.

Islam is the most humane way of life. It gives so much rights and respect to women; See for yourself: www.womeninislam.ws/en/

Wife beating is NOT allowed in Islam: http://islamicresponse.blogspot.com/2008...

Islam FORBIDS killing of non-muslims: http://islamicresponse.blogspot.com/2008...

Islam Allows Muslims to be Friends with non-Muslims: http://islamicresponse.blogspot.com/2010...

Islam is Not racist: Quran 2:213
Honour killing is FORBIDDEN in Islam: Quran 5:32
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Kin...
http://www.ezsoftech.com/stories/parent_...

Why prophet PBUH had many wives:
http://www.rasoulallah.net/v2/document.a...
http://islamicresponse.blogspot.com/2011...

Why did He marry Aisha? How old was she? (She was 9 at marriage, and was 16 or 18 when she consummated the marriage):
http://www.defending-islam.com/page207.h...
http://ilovezakirnaik.com/madamayeshah/a...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7567922/10-Eas...

Source:

Keep in mind, such marriages were common back then, and young mothers were also way too common: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_you...
-

Good reading list for muslims & non Muslims: http://islamicresponse.blogspot.com/2009...
"What everyone needs to know about Islam" by John Esposito

Take care :)
Salam alaykum!!~

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
Thanks for giving me informative links and the truth about Islam
Im actually Muslim with huge curiosity i was just bit confused about sharia law so that why ask this question :)
  • Comment

Other Answers (13)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Ibrahim I answered 2 years ago
    this is a sign for doomsday. a muslim is asking what sharia is

sharia is islam

shariah laws in media= some are the part of real shariah some are not.
    • Comment
  • a.kolathil answered 2 years ago
    Sariah laws are Laws contained in Holy Qur-an by God Himself for humanity and practiced by Prophets and his Khalifas there after.
    • Comment
  • Peter The Piper answered 2 years ago
    Barbaric laws for barbarions !

Oh and "Pease Loving" muslims. ...LOL.
    • Comment
  • Rasheed answered 2 years ago
    Mashaallah, loadsa scholars on here too! Haha, in a nutshell, shari'a is the law of Allah. The haram, the halaal, the mubah (permissible, no reward or sin for doing this type of act), mustahhab (recommended, +1 if you do it, nothing happens if you don't) and makruh (safer if you leave it, no sin if you do it, on the brink of Haraam).

Now between media and true Islam: Media will almost ALWAYS twist the truth, those videos you see by memri TV on youtube, etc. these are all twisted, I watched most of the full shows or lectures shown by them, it is soo taken out of context. Wife beating for example, yes Allah says 'waddribuhhunna' which means 'then beat them', but have you read the whole ayah? And the sunnah (The prophet's teachings) explain it both visually and verbally, there is much wisdom in it, and if i had time I would have explained it. But if you wanted I could explain EVERY article or report lol..
    • Comment
  • adnansnazzy answered 2 years ago
    Are those laws for killing and blowing "infidels"? Is it true what they say about the 72 virgins? Dang!
    • Comment
  • T?R answered 2 years ago
    Law, as a concept, has two parts.
    (1) the measurement of behaviour and events against standards and
    (2) the consequence of a failure to meet those standards.

Sharia law is interesting in that the highest authority is Allah, and, as such, all standards are those laid down by Him. However those standards as recognised by Sharia are only given to us directly in the Qu'ran. There is anecdotal evidence of these standards recorded in the Hadith, the Bible (gospels) and other texts, each being weighted according to their distance (or perceived distance) from the source.

When the media refers to Sharia Law in sensationalist articles, it is because the consequences of breaking the law can be extremely harsh, and because the opinion of some Sharia authorities leads it into opposition with juris prudence ("Western" law).

All law however is interpreted and there is no single authority for reference. This is especially true of Sharia. This is no further from ideal than juris prudence, in that the statute books require interpretation by judges and legal advisors. Neither system is perfect, though any imperfections in Sharia must arise as a result of human fallibility in interpretation or application of the law, and this reliance of the immutability of the Qu'ran is often held up as a defence of unpalatable fatwah. I think that the media highlights the failings of Sharia law and paints the whole, incredibly wide, system with the same brush. Much of Juris prudence is derived from the same root as Sharia; it fails to address changing technology and civilisation, something Sharia is accused of, however the difference is that the source material of juris prudence can, and is, changed. Much of juris prudence has evolved through consideration of what is morally acceptable in a society, and can it be said that this is any less or more valid process than reference to the Qu'ran? If our moral compass, our heart, our qalb, is a divine gift, then surely law derived from inspection of this is as valid.

Free-will is undeniably the greatest gift of Allah to man (including woman, I use man as the species, not the gender), yes? So any denial of free-will is a blasphemy against Him. Where that free-will is in conflict with another's free-will, and this is inevitable, then law is called into play, but all law is subject to interpretation and can be corrupted. The law of the heart, however, is God's true law. Would I submit to the judgement of a man, when only Allah can judge? It's an interesting question. If I am in submission to Allah, then my relationship with Him is very personal, and only He and I can judge it.
    • Comment
  • Sharia Law is rules and guidelines taken from the glorious QU'RAN and Hadiths. It ranges from punishment for crimes, to marriage/divorce rules, to what you can eat, to how to dress, to requirements regarding charity, and so on.

The media leaves the rest of that bit out though. They like to just highlight the punishment for crimes. Furthermore, the media gets much of it wrong, too. They make it seem as if Sharia requires witnesses for rape, and actually - no, it doesn't. Witnesses are only required to accuse someone for adultery, fornication. Also, the "beating" that the Qur'an permits, does not equate to domestic abuse (which is highest in the West)
    • Comment
  • Life Guru answered 2 years ago
    Sharia is the law. Hence referring to it as Sharia law ia like saying law law :) However the term needs verification. Let us first put into perspective the related terms, namely Sharia, Fiqh and Quranic law. The popular notion of Sharia law generally passed as Islamic law and which is supposed to incorporate the Quranic law and the Sunnah is a bit misleading.

Firstly, Sharia is man made law based on various schools of jurisprudence referred to as Fiqh and often are at odds with the Quranic laws. Hence assigning it any notion of a perpetual body of law is meaningless because the applicable law would lack not only the sanction of the people it is supposed to govern, a Quranic prerequisite but perpetuate any innovations that may have crept into it. Hence any Sharia will have to go through the normal process of legislation for each community before it can gain legitimacy. The exception to this rule is Divine law as detailed in the Quran which must be incorporated as it is.

The popular opposition to the Sharia is rooted in those elements of the Sharia that has nothing to do with the Quranic laws. Stoning, death for leaving Islam, punishment for violating dress codes, taxes on non Muslims, separation of genders are all innovations and must be opposed both by Muslims and non Muslims.

It's about time to get rid of Trojans within Islam and focus on the true solutions Islam has to offer to the whole of humanity. The following Umbrella deviations must go in order to declare the hundreds of smaller innovations which are rooted in them as invalid;

1. Punishment and reward after death and before the Day of Judgment (a total absurdity)
    2. Unqualified intercession on the Day of Judgment (the aim of this innovation is obvious, ''I can fix it for you")
    3. Predestination (especially helpful to corrupt and incompetent rulers who can blame everything on God, also very useful for sending soldiers on suicide missions)
    4. Abrogation of Quranic words (this one takes the cake and needed most by the enemies of Islam)
    5. Additional Revelations during the process of Quran's Revelation and after the death of the Prophet Pbuh. (How else to counter the words of God, with..... of course other ''words of God''.
    6. Specific prophecies (all tied to fixing it for you)
    7. Exaggerated rewards linked to rituals (an old trick of keeping followers busy in thought stopping activities)

Once the false theological cover is removed the innovations will crumble and permanently assigned to the footnotes of history.
    • Comment
  • ? answered 2 years ago
    Shariah law is an outdated, barbaric, simplistic and ignorant system of cruel punishments and primitive rules for Muslims and non-Muslims to follow in Islamic lands.

It appeals to the poor, the uneducated and the unintelligent, who really think the answer to all things is in a book of poetry written by a psychotic Arab shepherd 1,400 years ago.

Almost all Shariah judgments are simple-minded and really remind you of the time in which they were applicable, the 7th century.

Shariah is even more primitive than that because it was heavily influenced by the ancient Law of Moses, from the 1000s BC.

The fact that crime rates in countries that apply Shariah are actually quite higher than crime rates in secular, atheistic societies like Japan, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, is lost on Muslims who claim that Shariah is a solution to crime in the Western world.
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• The Drunken Fool answered 2 years ago
    I think you are looking to justify some of the sharia laws based on you perception that Islam is unfairly branded as barbaric by western media. For me, sharia law is based on islamic teaching. Western laws tend to be debated in respective parliaments and voted in or out by democratic means. This gives the laws the power of the people, wheras sharia law is based solely on interpretation of a religious text (which by definition cannot be proven to be correct). Islam has many positive sides, but also has some particularly brutal and unfair ones too, based on what some would call dubious heritage.
    • Comment
  • Trollin 4 Kix answered 2 years ago
    Rules and guidelines set from quran and hadith
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • magicofdawn (again) answered 2 years ago
    Sharia comes from the Qur'an, ahadith and fatwas from religious scholars. In Arabic, Sharia means the clear, well-trodden path to water. It's essential to life...just like water. It's just Sharia or The Sharia, not Sharia Law.

The Sharia regulates all human actions and puts them into five categories: obligatory, recommended, permitted, disliked or forbidden. Obligatory laws have to be done and you are rewarded for it and forbidden is the opposite. Recommended should be done and disliked is the opposite. Permitted - things that are no big deal.

4 categories of punishment under Sharia:

1. There are hadd penalties (pl. hudud, hadud, hudood), the extreme limit of the penalty which would be like cutting off a hand and stoning. These are "claims of God" and have fixed penalties. Includes theft, fornication (zina - extra and pre-marital) (17:32, 25:68), apostasy - which includes blasphemy (2:17 weakly, mostly ahadith like Bukhari 9:83:17, 4:52:260, 9:84:57), no alcohol (quran 2:219).

2. Qisas - meaning retaliation, and following the biblical principle of "an eye for an eye." (Qur'an 2:178)

3. Diyya - compensation paid to the heirs of a victim. In Arabic the word means both blood money and ransom. (Qur'an 5:45, charity, not retaliate)

4. Tazir - punishment, usually corporal, administered at the discretion of the judge (usually for things not outlined in the Qur'an).
    • Comment
  • Shah answered 2 years ago
    Whether you have put the question in honesty or not, the answer is not easy for an outsider to understand.

I am now presuming that you are a Christian.
    Just as Christianity has many flavors (with Catholics and Protestants as major sects), and the understanding of the law is different among them. In the same way there are many flavors of so called Islam. The 80% of the Muslims who may be regarded as mainstream Muslims belong to Sunni Islam. The majority of the rest of the 20% is Shia. And a very small minority is different other sects which may or may not be called Muslims as per the standards of both Sunnis and Shias.

I belong to the Quranist school of thought. Which is a minority of minorities among Muslims. Therefore YOU must look at my definition as an opinion. I **WAS** a practicing and observant Sunni for 35 years of my life. I left it about 10 years ago.

I won't waste my time over explaining the ridiculous sharia law as per Sunni or Shia islam.

Instead I would go straight to what it is as per Quranists that I hold as the truth.

"Sharia is basically the LAW sent down to Muslims as per the SCRIPTURE given to them i.e. Quran".

It is divine law. In its true definition it is like the 10 commandments that were given to Moses.

The problem with the Sunni Islam and the Shia Islam is that they do not follow the Quran. Instead they resort to a jump outside the Quran and then they never bother to return to it.

This jump is in two forms. The Sunni jump is through the statement in the Quran : "Obey Allah (God) and Obey Rasool (Messenger)".

The Shia form is through the statement : "Obey Allah and Obey Rasool **AND** those in charge of you".

The sunnis assume that Quran is incomplete, disoriented, just a wierd book, not fit to be followed or totally incompatible etc. And they propagate that obeying Allah is through obeying Quran and obeying the messenger is through the sayings and deeds of messenger. It is pertinent to note that the whole barrage of volumes and volumes of books claimed as compilations of sayings and deeds of prophet Mohammad (messenger) are nothing but a big lie attributed to Mohammad. It is criminal in every aspect.

The shias propagate that the people in charge are the family members of Mohammad. And that Mohammad had prophesied that there would be 12 Imams (high level of religious and spiritual leaders) that would come from his descendents.

There are many flavors within the Shia Islam. The 12vers are in majority. There are 5vers too and others too.

It is not possible for me to put down all of this here.

But the bottom line is that whatever is propagated in the name of Sharia is nothing but a set of huge lies fabricated and criminally attributed to Mohammad and then more importantly blasphemously declared as divine.

In essence it is very much like the New testament, where people wrote it saying that the holy spirit came down on them and they wrote those books. Of course this type of thing can only be believed on faith, while there is no verifiable evidence present that holy spirit came to them or not. It certainly wouldn't have come on them, else there wouldn't have been any contradictions within those books.

Source(s):

"Reformist Submitter (Quranist)"
    "God Alone Quran Alone"
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow